Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I need an Air Gap Faucet?

Posted by JohnnyToronto (My Page) on
Wed, May 11, 11 at 20:59

Hi all. I've searched this topic and can't find an answer so I hope you guys can help. I just bought a Watts Premier 5 stage undercounter RO system. It came with a really cheap air gap faucet, so I went out and bought a better quality water dispenser faucet. I just unpacked everything and noticed that the new better faucet doesn't appear to be an air gap faucet. The cheap one included has red and black tubing coming out the bottom while (with an extra blue tube) while the new faucet has no tubing. So my question is did I buy the wrong type of faucet to use with this RO system? Is an air gap faucet necessary or only required in certain circumstances? Would really appreciate the advice of all the pros on this forum. Many thx.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I need an Air Gap Faucet?

If you are plumbing the drain for the RO directly to a waste line then yes you need an air gap. If the RO can be drained to a laundry tub there just needs to be a 1" gap between the drain line and flood rim of laundry tub.
RJ

o

Thx RJ. Not sure what you mean by a "waste line." Obviously I know nothing about plumbing. I am having this installed professionally, but wanted the views of the good folks on this forum before I hear what my plumber suggests. This will be installed in a seperate coffee station area in my new kitchen. There will also be a small bar sink there with a drain. So no possibility of a laundry tub. I think I'm hearing you say I need an air gap faucet and that I need to return the one I bought.

o

yes, air gap one.

o

Thx guys. Just found out I can order an Airgap add-on for my faucet, so I've done so. Should all be good now. BTW, is this "Air Gap" stuff common knowledge among reputable plumbers and will they know how to install this thing?

o

Make sure what you ordered is an AIR GAP and not a check valve. They are not the same.

You would be better off with an air gap faucet.

Air gap faucets prevent cross-contamination. Air gaps are code required when connecting a potable water appliance to a drain.

o

Thx justalurker. The website description of the product said "Air Gap" so I hope that's what it is. Now just need to hope my plumber (chosen by my GC) knows about this stuff.

o

Is this a Master plumber, or is this someone who acts as a plumber when people are willing to pay him to act as a plumber?

One way to find out is to ask him if he can design DWV plumbing.

o

No, this would be a professional licensed plumber used by our very reputable and high-end (read pricey) GC. I haven't met them yet, but they will be around next week or so for istall, so just wondering about how common this knowledge and type of installation would be.

o

the answer is inside my question. A Master Plumber will know, and a whole lot more than I know. Nothing wrong with your asking him any question.

o

Perfect. Thx again for your help. If he doesn't know, i'll refer him to this forum!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here