Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chueh_gw

new houses don't have a main water valve inddors???

chueh
12 years ago

My husband and i are wondering if new houses are not built with the main water valve inside the houses any more?

Every time, we had to repair something that's related to water, we always had to cut the water off from the curb on the street where only do the water supply company workers check. We checked inside all the bottom cabinets, there is no water control valve anywhere in the house, except those that connect direct to control the local cold and hot water under the sinks and behind the toilets. We also checked the valves that connect to the hot water heater. None of them is the main valve.

Please advise us. Thanks

Comments (12)

• rjh2o
    12 years ago

Somewhere in your home is a water meter and that is where the main shut off will be.
    RJ

• chueh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you rjh2o for your reply. We definitely don't have one like that in our home.

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

Check the cold water inlet to the heater. Trace it back to the foundation. There should be one along there somewhere.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"Somewhere in your home is a water meter and that is where the main shut off will be. "

Many places put the meters in a pit at curbside and that is where the shutoff will be.

If you do not have one in the house at teh water line entry have one installed.

• chueh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Guys, thank you all for the replies!!!

The only meter we have is in a pit at curbside, but NOT in the house. That's where we shut the water off by lifting the heavy metal cover and using a pliers to turn the water-shut-off-knob. That's a long drive way, though.

There is not even a local shut-off for the bath tub. What a tedious job to fix the tub faucet by going back and forth to the curb to shut the water off. ...... bad design.....

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

It is not very hard to cut the line right at the entry to the house and install a gate or ball valve (these types are used to get full flow).

• lazypup
    12 years ago

Code requires a "Main Water Shutoff Valve" with 3ft of the point where the water supply line enters the structure.

For homes built over a basement the main water shutoff valve is in the basement where the line enters the house.

For homes built on slab the valve may be inside or it may be below grade outside.

If it is below grade outside you can expect to find it at a depth that is 6" below your frost level and about 3ft outside the footer wall.

• woodbutcher_ca
    12 years ago

Hi
    Check the garage.
    Woodbutcher

• fa_f3_20
    12 years ago

My house has a cutoff that is in the garage just inside of where the service comes in. When the drywallers rocked the garage, they covered it up. Fortunately, I'd taken photos of the plumbing rough before the drywall went up, so with a stud finder and a bit of guesswork I was able to cut a hole in the drywall, find it, and install an access panel.

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

I'm on a slab and the cutoff is just up from where the water line comes out of the slab in the utility room.

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

I'm aware that there is another cutoff at the street where the meter exists but I have never used it.

• legende
    7 years ago

I agree that it is bad design to install shutoff valves for toilets and wash sinks and not for the showers. Our house was built in 2005 in NJ, is this really the code these days? All the houses I've been in NYC had shower shutoff valves. It's very inconvenient as let's say you need water to the toilet or kitchen and the whole freaking house don't have water while you wait for a part to come in. My kitchen ceiling got soaked because of this. Bad, BAD, design. Let us know if there is some kind of plumbing code but if so, why do toilets and typical sinks have shutoff valves?