Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reliability of old gas valve?

Posted by grandmum (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 12 at 20:33

I have an older nat'l gas valve in my crawl that control a grill that is not used. I want to turn it to the off position but I am leary to do so because of its age.

Its about 30 years old and is a quarter turn handle valve that looks to have oil packing and a nut on the other side of the handle.

My experience with old valves is once they are moved they leak. Do these oil pack valves have a tendency to leak if they have not been used in many many years if ever?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reliability of old gas valve?

Most natural gas valves are reliable, although I've had more of an issue with these valves not providing positive shut off than leaking around packing.

Always cap a natural gas line, don't just rely on a closed valve when doing temporary servicing of appliances, etc.

To ease your mind, I would turn off the valve, and then test for leaks around the valve and packing with soap water.
Put some dish soap and water in a spray bottle or swab on with a brush or rag. You will see bubbles if it's leaking.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here