Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen faucet drips, but stops once it is turned on and off

Posted by amav31 (My Page) on
Sat, May 17, 14 at 19:25

I have a single handle kitchen faucet that was installed 4yrs ago. Recently it started dripping. But if I turn the handle up and down(on and off) the dripping stops.
So It does not drip constantly, but still it is an annoyance because I need to lift the handle up and down more than once to stop the dripping. My question is, is this a problem with washer/threads or should I replace the entire faucet? This is the second time I had to replace with a new faucet because our previous one was also doing the same thing and I did not care to repair it. Just replaced it and now in 4 yrs it is back to dripping.
Please advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen faucet drips, but stops once it is turned on and off

Likely new washers. They only cost a buck and replacement is a 10 min job compared to a lot more of both for a new faucet. Take the opportunity to inspect what's going on-- are you getting mineral accumulation or particulates that are causing the leak? Perhaps not much to be done about it, but at least you'll know. A washerless ceramic disk faucet might help in the longer run, but they are a lot more expensive than a couple of O-rings every few years.

o
RE: Kitchen faucet drips, but stops once it is turned on and off

You will get a better response if you identify the make and model of the faucet. There are too many possible causes to just guess in the dark.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here