Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fritzgarden

toilet flapper closes too fast

fritzgarden (7a)
13 years ago

a 5 y.o. AS 4396 w/Fluidmaster guts.

The flapper is closing too fast, and I think, always has.

There is a captured donut of polyfoam (of some kind) right on top of the flapper.

The chain is as tight as I can make it, less then a 1/4" before action.

The take fills to less than 1/2" below the overflow.

Could the donut be water logged, or should I try to add another?

Comments (34)

• homebound
    13 years ago

Try moving the foam float lower on the chain, or just replace the flapper.

• asolo
    13 years ago

Fluidmasters cost, what....ten/fifteen bucks? Replace the whole thing and be done with it.

• fritzgarden (7a)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

the foam float is as low as it can go.
    maybe as asolo said

• homebound
    13 years ago

Why replace the entire flush valve? All you need is a new flapper, not an extra project involving removal of the tank.

• fritzgarden (7a)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What will a new flapper do for me? This one is clean doesn't look worn, fits tight, goes up and down easily.
    It seems that it should stay open longer for a full flush, but I don't see what a new one would do in that light.

• pelican
    13 years ago

"What will a new flapper do for me?"

It will make your toilet work, that's what. You asked for advise on how to fix it, and you received it. Spend $4 and replace it.

• homebound
    13 years ago

BTW, all this is assuming the water level in the tank is not too low. When full, it should be about 1" or so below the top of the overflow tube.

• fritzgarden (7a)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

water level is 1/2" below overflow.

On 2nd look, I'm not sure if the flapper closes too soon or the tank isn't emptying fast enough. Seems when I watch the job, it varies between the two choices.
    It seems to lack enough suck.

• fritzgarden (7a)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

let me add that the other toilet on the first floor has never had this problem. It kicks butt
    It is a slightly newer Kohler than the AS upstairs.

• homebound
    13 years ago

Ok, then. If the tank is emptying too slowly, it's one of two things (one easy, the other more of a pain): A) the hole under the rim are obstructed, so you pole them open with a piece of a coathanger (the holes go through the rim at a sideways angle). That's the easy one. B) Alternatively, something is caught at the base of the toilet. You can try a closet auger to hopefully break it up, but if it's a piece of plastic (eg. toy, razor, bottle cap, plastic "thingy", etc.) you have to remove the toilet and remove it.

• fritzgarden (7a)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

would I be able to see deposits or whatever built up on the rim holes or should I just go ahead a give a poke. They look quite clean and our water is low in minerals.
    I have a sneaking suspicion I'm gonna be re-waxing the beast

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

Does the water go all the way down when the flapper is open during the flush cycle? The flapper is held open by an air bubble that is inside the flapper. Suction holds it closed. Without the air bubble, the flapper will close early or will not open completely.

• fritzgarden (7a)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

no, the water gets about 1 to 2 " above the floor and it seems to vary.

• busboy
    13 years ago

With the water turned off try a new flapper and a bottle of lime away slightly diluted poured directly into the tank outlet. Let it sit overnight. Try the simple things first.

• fritzgarden (7a)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

new flapper (Home Depot, not exact replacement as it's some AS custom thing)
    Lime Away overnight. No change.
    New flapper has one hole on the bottom.
    The OEM flapper has a hole on the bottom and in the front and is a bigger bell.

• fritzgarden (7a)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

the gang at AS will send me the entire guts of the toilet when in stock in a few weeks.

• asolo
    13 years ago

It's time. Good on ya.

• Terry Love
    13 years ago

Since 1992, toilets have used 1.6 gallon or less by law.
    The tanks will hold up to 3 gallons.
    Do the math. A tank does not empty during the flush cycle.

If you want a 3.5 gallon toilet, you will have to look in a second hand store.

Toilets since 1992 have had quick closing flappers. If you try to flush an entire tank in the new bowls, and it's plugged even a little bit, you can overflow the bowl onto the floor.

The toilet you are trying to "improve" was poor when it was new. You can't make a silk purse out of that dog you bought. Check the Map rating.
    The 2" flush valve "Aquaforce" from A/S was very low end.
    I wouldn't have one in my home.
    You would be better off with the Cadet 3 if you want something from American Standard. Just remember to inspect the porcelain before bringing it home.
    Terry Love

• fritzgarden (7a)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

inspect the porcelain? for what?
    Perhaps the porcelain on this one was bad from the start ..... but in what way?
    I wouldn't have anything AS in my house, but sometimes it ain't my choice.
    nudge, nudge, wink, wink

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

I wasn't getting good flush action and discovered the water jet hole was completely clogged shut with lime/calcium deposits. After working on it a good bit with a long brass brush, I got it all open and it now flushes much better.

If the flapper is closing too soon, might it be that there is too much 'play' in the chain?

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Cutaway of toilet

• fritzgarden (7a)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

the chain is quite tight.
    I ran some lime away thru it last week and let it sit for a day as suggested above.
    No change. AS sent me a flapper over flow pipe assembly. I'll see what that gets me.

• Noremen
    12 years ago

I solved this issue with a fishing line float. Using a medium sized float you can adjust the closing rate of the flapper by positioning it's location on the flapper chain. The higher up the quicker the flapper closes / the lower on the chain the longer the flapper stays open. Also make sure that there is not to much extra slack on the flapper chain.

Here is a link that might be useful: Example of fishing line float or bobber

• tn_gardening
    12 years ago

I'm no expert, but here's what I've read:

The flappers have a hole in the bottom. This is so they can trap a bubble of air when you flush. This bubble of air helps the flapper float while the eater drains. If it is closing too soon, then the flapper is not trapping air properly.

Most would suggest replacing the flapper.

• busboy
    12 years ago

As mentioned he system is designed to save water. Normal flush is half tank. If you want a full flush hold the handle down.. removing the foam float will probably allow it to give a full flush every time. I noticed this when I bought a new toilet last year. Or replace the flapper valve without a float.

• rdibened
    10 years ago

I had the same problem and I believe you are correct that the float is water logged. I got tired of buying a new flapper ever couple of years so here is what I did: I got a piece of Styrofoam about 1 1/2" square and about 3/4" thick. I cut a slit about half way through it a fit it under the existing float. I then hot glued the slit closed. It seems to work. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

• timfear
    10 years ago

So, I've a similar issue. I did not have a float so I went and bought a new flapper yesterday with the float. Now, instead of shutting really quickly, the new flapper slams shut. I've moved the float every which way and can see no difference.

I did adjust the water level and that's helped a titch, but you still need to really hold down the handle. Any ideas why float wouldn't float? I mean, it is buoyant, just seems chain is too heavy.

• mhchodog
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Before you replace the toilet, fluid master, adjust the chain, adjust the float , buy a new house etc., look at the comment by weedmeister in May 2010. My new flapper had too small an air chamber so it fell prematurely;, the broken one I had to replace had a larger air chamber, so it had been working fine. After returning the one with the small air chamber, I found one with a larger chamber (bulb) and an adjustable air bleed valve, and it works just fine.

Does it make any sense that adjusting the slack on the chain or the position of the float would make any difference, since they are hanging in midair when the flap closes prematurely?

• Vith
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

No one mentioned the tank lever not being long enough and chain being attached to the incorrect hole. You can have the chain as tight as possible on the wrong hole and the flapper wont open far enough to stay open. The chain should be close to taught and on the correct hole so you get the flapper to actually open far enough to stay open. Yea its an old thread but surprised no one thought of this.

• hotmale27
    8 years ago

Make sure that the tank water level is at or quarter inch BELOW overflow water level. After messing with the flapper forever, this is the adjustment that solved my problem. My water level was more than a quarter each below water level. Good luck

• Cameron Scott
    8 years ago

I agree with hotmale27... the problem for me was the water level. I installed a homemade Styrofoam bobber as a precaution, but I am sure it was the water level.

• Reggaemuffin
    3 years ago

Fritzgarden/ did you ever solve this problem? I’m experiencing the same now. I saw you are still an active contributor here. Thanks!!

• fritzgarden (7a)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

new fluidmaster, then. and just about to do the same now. dunno what it is about the AS tank design, but it as been a royal pain since day one. This will be the 3rd set of guts for this AS in 12 years. That is wrong. Goes to show as AS stopped making this model right after we bought it.

The Kohler has had no issues other than a bad install at the supply pipe by the original plumber.

• Reggaemuffin
    3 years ago

Mine is an AS too. I already replaced the flapper with no improvement- off to clean the rim holes to see if that makes a difference... :( thanks for the response !