Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loxa1

whole house water filtration system needed- help suggestions want

loxa1
9 years ago

Hi a few questions I need help with for a private well with high iron (4 out of 10)
Does anyone have any experience with kinetico whole house R.O? how do you like it? was it worth it? would you recommend it?

Does anyone have any experience with any ONLINE filter systems such as Aquasana or pure effect water filters?

Any other recommendations for private WELL water filtrations systems?

In your opinion is reverse osmosis the best technology out there to remove all dangerous contaminants ? I am aware of the removal of important minerals but I plan on adding them back in before drinking the water.

will drilling a new well or making current well deeper make for iron free water as a local company who tested our water state?
I have sent my water to be tested at national testing laboratories and have results of which concern me so I care to have safest water for not only drinking but also showering.
thanks in advance!

Comments (10)

• oakhill (zone 9A, Calif.)
    9 years ago

My well produces very high iron water. Based on the quotes below from an R.O, supplier, we decided to instead use a multi-phase cartridge filter system for the whole house. It involves a coarse filter, followed by a medium one, and finally a fine filter. These are cleaned and or replaced about every 3-4 months.

âÂÂIt is not recommended that you run anything more than 0.3 ppm of iron or a hardness above 10 gpg into a reverse osmosis system. Although it will remove iron and hardness, these contaminants will plug up the filters very quicklyâÂÂ
    âÂÂon average, 1.5 gallons go to drain for each one gallon of clean waterâÂÂ

Here is a link that might be useful: R.O. information

• loxa1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your reply. May I ask which system you have? Also do you need a separate water softener to remove the iron? How much do you pay a year in replacing cartridges?

• User
    9 years ago

It depends entirely on whether your iron is ferric (particulate) or ferrous (clear-water).

Is your water obviously discolored with particulates in it straight from the tap?

Is your water clear from the tap and then develops color/particulates if allowed to sit for an hour or so?

You mentioned that you had a water test - posting the results will help.

• loxa1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@aliceinwonderland_id,
    i have pasted the results. Where is says nn it represents none noted. it might be hard to read but note the first number is the result, the 2nd is national standard and the last number In each row is the min. detected level.

Test results where contamination was detected at or above the min. detection level , but not above the national standard.
    Heavy metals: results national standard: Min. detection level
    Calcium 153.9 nn 2
    Copper . 0.008 1.3 0.004
    Magnesium 7 nn 0.1
    Potassium 1 nn 1
    Silica 15.4 nn 0.1
    sodium 46 nn 1
    zinc 0.01 5 0.004
    Other:
    chloride 39 250 5
    sulfate 66 250 5
    results national standard: Min. detection level
    physical factors:
    alkalinity (total as CaCO3) 370 nn 20
    Turbidity .2NTU 1 0.1

Radiologicals:
    Gross beta 4.33PCi/L nn 4

Test results where the contaminant was detected above the standard, which is not an EPA enforceable maximum contaminant level.
    Heavy metals: results national standard: Min. detection level
    manganese 0.053 0.05 0.004
    physical factors:
    hardness 410 100 10
    TDS 550 1 0.01
    (total dissolved solids)

hm I assume it's ferrous since the water does come out clear, BUT I have to say that the water in the toilet for instance is also clear. I will investigate tomorrow when I go to the property if particles develop after leaving out a cup of water for a while and I will let you know. pls let me know what you think regarding results. btw I did not include any results that tested fine. thanks in advance!

• User
    9 years ago

No iron analysis?

• loxa1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well the thing is that I sent Water to be tested that had gone through the water softener instead of the untreated well water (thats how new I am to all this!) It tested at .051 mg/l. I will say however that the clear water has turned yellow with no particles floating. I made sure to take water from well spout. :-)

• loxa1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Btw ph is 6.8

• User
    9 years ago

How is the hardness 410 ppm after your softener?

You need a good iron test before any recommendation may be made. A softener can remove ferrous iron, but only up to a point. Anything other than incidental iron really ought to be removed by another method.

• loxa1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

can you recommend another method? I suspect the softner was not working as it should hence our need to replace the existing system and better it. I am at a loss as to what system works or not. Do you think it sounds right to drill a new well about 80 ft to get btter water with no iron issues? that is what the kinetico sales guy told me. He guarantees no iron in the system for at a year so if he drills us a new well he can then sell us the whole house R.O system and we would need no pretreatment....

• Bullet777
    9 years ago

It is almost always less expensive to fix the water you have, than to drill a new well (which will in all likelihood, need treatment, as well)