Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weight of stone on septic?

Posted by nicky_2006 (My Page) on
Wed, May 12, 10 at 17:31

Would love to use the grass area near the house and deck to install a stone patio, but the septic tank is in that area. Thought to do randomly placed field stone with ground cover; mosses, thymes, etc in between. So access to tank clean out would mean just lifting one stone. Tank is about 16 to 18 inches below ground level. If a pallet of stone weights about a ton, and covers a 10x10 foot area or 100 square feet, is that too much weight over a septic tank and lines to surrounding fields? Forgot what a basic septic tank measures, say 6 to 8 feet square...maybe bigger. That would be almost a ton of weight, is that ok? Or is that trouble down the line? Thanks for any ideas

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weight of stone on septic?

At about 20 lbs per square foot, I see no problem with the weight.

o

Stone is not appreciably heavier than soil. Since the weight will be distributed, I see no problem. Tanks are often buried with 3 feet of covering soil.

o

The actual weight of the rocks is not a problem but you could run into a local code restriction.

The vegetation over a leachfield is an integral part of the septic tank treatment process. In some jurisdiction they will not allow you to even place lawn furniture over the septic tank or leachfield area because it would tend to increase foot traffic, which is detrimental to the continuing growth of the grass.

o

We can't put hardscape over a leach field, but we can over a septic tank.

I have a bluestone patio over most of my septic tank, it's dryset over compacted stone dust. I poured a concrete collar around the access holes to the tank.

Pull off a stone, dig out the stonedust packed within the collar, then pop off the cap to the septic tank to inspect or pump it out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here