Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andalee

Need a toilet to fit pretty specific criterion

andalee
11 years ago

Okay, this has got to be quick (baby needs a snack). I need to find a toilet that hopefully meets the following criterion:

1) Flushes well & doesn't clog easily.

2) Elongated bowl (preferrably compact, as it's a smallish room.)

3) NOT chair height. I'm ADAMANT about this. We've got a lot of kids (six), and most of them are small. A lower toilet makes my life a whole lot easier, and theirs.

When we build the "real" house in a few years, I'm seriously considering wall-mount fixtures, so I don't have to clean around a toilet base (one of my least favorite chores), and I can set the height to best accomodate everyone in the house. I just didn't realize it took a 1" supply line, or I'd do that now. ;o)

Thanks so much for your help!

Comments (7)

• thull
    11 years ago

Toto Drake. Either the 1.6 gpf or the newer 1.28 gpf Eco Drake (Dual Cyclone works really well). If you want to, upgrade it to the Sanagloss finish version. We have one with the Sanagloss, and it seems to go a little longer without getting a dirty bowl than our other Toto.

I wouldn't put in a wall-mounted flushometer toilet in a home. We just went through replacing similar toilets in my office. What we found was that our older plumbing didn't have the capacity to provide the flow needed by the 1.28 gpf toilets. It ended up being sort of a research project. The wall-hung Kohlers (K-4325) perform poorly, partly from not having 25 gpm available at any time, partly (I think) from bowl design. Seems odd for the flushometer to need that much capacity. My understanding is that how quickly the valve can dump that 1.28 gallons into the bowl matters. We also put in one Toto (CT-780, IIRC), and it seems to do fine in spite of the less-than-ideal water supply capacity. The Kohlers tend to take 2 flushes to clear the bowl, and when we open the control stop up to get better performance, you also get splashing during flushing.

I'm not sure about the height. The kids will grow quickly, so I'd go with a standard-height one rather than trying to set up a lower one. Standard rim height for a Drake is 14-5/8" (ADA is higher at 16-1/2").

If you look more, use the CUWCC MaP Testing results as a guide for high-performing residential toilets.

• andalee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, thull. (Your username wouldn't happen to come from the Belgariad, does it? It reminds me of one of my favorite lines from Belgarath the Sorcerer . . . :o) That's exactly the kind of response I was hoping for. I found it at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012HBQK8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER), and as we've got Prime, that makes it even more attractive, as the house is ready for it now.

I'm also impressed with the reviews at Amazon, as the lion's share of them all mention years positive of experience with the Drake. Perfect.

The house I'm considering the wall-mount toilets in hasn't been built yet, but it's good to know your experience.

Anyone else have opinions/ideas?

Thanks for the info!

• kisu
    11 years ago

There are 2 toilets I recommend for your criteria - I have both in my house.

One is TOTO Aquia elongated model with dual flush. toto toilets are heavily reviewed and recommended on Terry Love website. The Aquia has a beautiful base which is easier to clean and uses less water. See link. I think this cost me under $300 at a local store - complete with soft close seat.

For a wall hung I have the Duravit with the Geberit wall carrier - whole thing will cost you about $900 though for the carrier and the toilet and seat and the wall actuator (the push button itself).

However, toto just came out with a wall carrier and wall hung version of the Aquia and that might be less expensive. I bought my duravit just before Toto came out with their system. I think it is worth checking out - Toto has a great reputation.

I put 4 Toto drakes in my Houston home - and went from plunging ever 2 weeks to plunging only once every 6 months -year and only after a huge Houston storm. But I chose the Aquia for my new home because the base is so easy to clean and prettier.

Here is a link that might be useful: Toto Aquia

• kisu
    11 years ago

I forgot to mention that the $300 toto aquai dual flush I got was specifically chosen because it was 1 inch lower than the other toto's like the drake. I went to the store with a tape measure and measured all the Toto's including added seat height. It is 16 1/4" total to top edge of my toilet seat on the Aquia.

We are short people in this house and do not like toilets where our feet dangle. The Drake is taller.

• kisu
    11 years ago

don't forget to include the toilet seat height for final height. Even though the eco drake is 14 5/8" to rim, the seat adds height.

I have a Toto eco drake downstairs and we made the mistake of getting the "universal" height one instead of the standard one - so make sure to check when you buy since even the same named toilet comes in different heights.
    With the seat our Universal height Eco drake is is 17 3/4" much higher than our Aquia.

The Toto Eco drake - if you get the one that is only 14 5/8" is a lot cheaper at around $150.

• andalee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, kisu, for the info. The Aquia is definitely easier to clean . . . I'm going to add that one to my list to consider for the farmhouse (as yet unbuilt). The Drake was installed yesterday, and it was funny to see how impressed the kids were. My oldest daughter (10), even said:

"Mom, when guests come over and use the bathroom, they're really going to like this new toilet. It's so quiet!"

She's really into being a good hostess, and loves to prepare and present beautifully-thought-out meals for our family . . . it was so funny/cute to hear her say that. lol

So, once I can get Amazon to replace the seat that arrived chipped, it'll be good.

Thanks again!

• kisu
    11 years ago

your daughter will really like the Aquia then and it's only a little more cost. It is very pretty and it flushes well. We have been using it about 6 months. Try to go see one in a showroom - it's stunning and since I have both, I can say yes it is easier to clean than the Drake. I got the Eco drake over the regular Drake because California is recommending a 1.28 gpm but still allows the 1.6and the Eco drake is 1.28gpm already. We have not had to plunge the Eco Drake and it is 1 year old. ...except when someone dropped a toothbrush in it and it had to be completely removed and flipped over to get the brush out.

The drake is easier to install though - it's like a normal toilet with a wax ring. The Aquia is not hard to install - it just has this separate plastic part you need to use in the base that you might not have seen before. And the way it mounts on the side because of the wrap-around. The directions are very good and if you follow them everything turns out perfect. It is worth it.