Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leslie2004

is a new toilet really necessary?

leslie2004
9 years ago

We had the guts replaced by a plumber 2 months ago because our 20 year old Kohler wasn't filling right - neither my husband nor I felt qualified to try the job (sorry if that makes us completely incompetent but we know our limitations in life and skillsets!).

Within 2 months of the new guts being installed I noticed it was refilling itself just a bit every once in a while. It took over an hour for dye to come through into the bowl when I put food coloring in the tank so I assume that means a very slow leak. The plumber came back and put his own dye in - since it didn't show right away I don't know that he believed me completely but he did swap out the flapper. We also had to endure a sales pitch on a full-house carbon filter and scare tactics on chlorine causing damage to rubber gaskets, cancer, etc. and also had to hear that toilets don't last forever and since this was was 20 years old the whole thing might need to be replaced. Also got pitched their maintenance program which we were strongly encouraged to sign up for. All of that very annoying considering he was coming back to fix a job they didn't do right the first time and we'd also gotten the sales pitches the first time the initial plumber came out. I guess he was just doing what his boss makes them do...

He put another dye tab in the tank before he left and again within a couple hours the bowl was dark blue. So I called back and scheduled for a third appt. I had tried to do some research and asked the third guy when he came if it could be the flapper seat - maybe the seal wasn't sealed right when they replaced it. He said if that flapper seat was the problem it would cause a big leak out of the tank onto the floor when we flushed. He told us he thought a hairline crack in the ceramic was the cause and there was no remedy but replacing the whole toilet.

He stressed that it wasn't caused by them replacing the guts originally 2 months ago - just a fact that older toilets can develop cracks and possibly by replacing things - air hitting the area I think he said - brought it on but it was not CAUSED by them - so no responsibility on their part. I kept saying that it was not doing that before they changed out the guts so they must bear some responsibility but he was adamant that�s just something that could happen and they can�t control it or prevent it.

I asked if there WAS a crack is there a way to fix that with epoxy or something or could it possibly just be grit or some surface roughness between the flapper seat and bottom of the tank - he said no, he felt the slowness of the leak meant it was not a bad seal but rather a hairline crack.

He changed out with a different style of flapper and again said we should think about getting the toilet replaced.

With the 2nd new flapper there is still a slow leak. My questions are:

1. Do I keep pursuing this with the same company and tell them they need to reinstall a new flapper seat (or do something else with another part of the mechanism?)? The last guy seemed very firm that he wasn�t doing that but should I speak to the shop manager and try to make that happen?

2. Or is it possibly true as he said, a bad seat seal would not be a super slow leak it would be a bad leak so it must be something else?

3. Should I continue by just calling another plumber and starting over or is the same thing likely to happen? The first service was very expensive, I thought, and they haven�t charged again but I don�t like continuing to work with a company I now feel not very good about. In addition to possibly causing a new problem and not taking responsibility in any way, and trying to push us to buy a new toilet I really think the sales pitch for the various things is in bad taste � especially when coming out to fix something they didn�t fix right.

Sorry to go on forever, any suggestions?

Comments (14)

• klem1
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

All your suspeions and feelings are completly valid and the plumbers lied at least 3 times regardless what is or is not wrong with the toilet. There might be a hairline crack but odds are about a thousand to one that's not the case. If by some chance there is a crack,it's very likly they caused it. And I don't mean by "exposing it to air". What an idiot ! There is no way to be certain but if you were located in the DFW area I would wager that I can fix it or the new toilet would be at my expense. The flip side is that if a new flapper seat ( commonly known as a flush valve ) fixed the problem,the plumbers must fork over to me every dollar you paid and apoligize to you. For informational purpose go to Home Depot online,click plumbing,then toilet parts. Click the secound item "Fluidmaster complete toilet repair kit". Click that item to bring up a larger emage. Below the red flapper is a black rubber gasket. Below the black gasket is a white plastic nut. If that gasket and/or nut is improperly installed,the result is exaclt same as a bad flapper. With all parts in picture installed (except big red spounge donut in background) the tank will hold water until it evaporates or someone trips the lever. When tank is connected to bowl,red spounge fits between them and it's the one which will leak onto floor if not in good condition. I'm not sure that helps you but there you have it. And BTW,as I stated earlier,Home Depot and Fluid Master are for informational purpose only. Although they will work, I would use better parts.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

The plumbers seem to be both incompetent and shysters. What have you paid these guys? I suspect for the money spent you could have a nice, reliable toilet by now. Don't get another plumber in. Research toilets and get a new one, like the Toto Drake...about $250. You CAN install it yourself. It is about the simplest DIY job around. If you want to develop some basic skills, do this. Watch a couple of Youtube videos and you will become confident. The first time I did it, it involved about one hour of my time to remove the old one and put in a new one. Now I'm faster.

Here is a link that might be useful: Good toilets

• leslie2004
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the validation of my instinct and also the suggestions and info on good toilets. Unfortunately we're not near DFW or I'd take you up on your offer :)

I think kudzu9 you have faith in my ability to install a toilet that I just don't share. Every other tiny house project that should've been a quick no-brainer has run into problems that make it never as easy as it should be.

Anyway, it does sound like I need a new plumber for sure and I'll just have to try to get advice around here (Wilmington, Delaware) on a good, trust-worthy one.

But if you were me and were not going to try to fix it yourself would you first insist the one we've already paid ($400!!!) to put in the new guts make it right or start over with a new one? I feel I just need to cut my losses and start over.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

leslie-
    I wouldn't have the plumber back, even for free. I think he doesn't know for sure what is wrong and some of his explanations/speculations sound like baloney. Usually with a toilet there are only so many things that can go wrong, but I had one years ago where I replaced most of the parts and still couldn't get it to work correctly -- just like you -- and decided to quit wasting my time and put in a new one.

I can understand that some people don't have a natural ability to do even simple home repair projects...but don't you have any friends who are a bit handy? Almost anyone with basic skills should be able to change out a toilet.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

duplicate removed...

This post was edited by kudzu9 on Sat, May 31, 14 at 11:27

• woodbutcher_ca
    9 years ago

Hi. Maybe the flapper isn't leaking.Look in the tank and see if the end of the hose from the valve to the overflow is above the overflow not in it. Could cause a siphon creating the problem you have.
    Good Luck Woodbutcher

• leslie2004
    Original Author
    9 years ago

woodbutcher - I'm looking at the hose and it does go down at least an inch into the overflow tube but it seems to be still above the water level. However I will adjust the hose to sit at the top of the tube and see what happens. But - while i understand that it might make the toilet run to refill itself if it's too low in the tube I'm confused about whether/how that would cause an actual leak into the bowl where dye would show up.

• tim45z10
    9 years ago

The water level should be about 3/4" below the top of the overflow tube.
    Your problem involves that water tube and it requires taking off the tank.
    I propose that is why he doesnt want to mess with it.
    I always put a thin layer of vaseline on any rubber parts I use in the toilet.

• leslie2004
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Alright, I did more reading and understand a little better how toilets work. I adjusted the fill hose to sit at the top of the overflow tube rather than being an inch or more down inside it. I put more dye in before leaving for work so I can't wait to see if anything came through today.
    Before I adjusted the hose I put dye in just to see how long it took to show and it was 6 hrs before I saw any color in the bowl yesterday.

• geoffrey_b
    9 years ago

The flapper fits into a slightly cone shaped 'seat' in the bottom of the water closet. I suspect that this seat is slightly corroded. You can get replacement seats and flappers. Just turn off the water, flush the toilet, dry off the old seat with a hair dryer. The new seat comes with putty. Just squish the new seat on and flapper.

Here is a link that might be useful: Toilet repair kits

• leslie2004
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Geoffrey -
    That seat was replaced when they replaced the entire guts in March. So I don't think it's corroded but maybe defective or maybe not installed right. The plumbers that came to "fix" the problem both said they don't think the leak is at the flapper seat or there'd be a worse leak. That was my very random guess. Fingers crossed adjusting the fill hose to sit higher has solved it and no dye is in the bowl after work today!

• weedmeister
    9 years ago

When the plumbers replaced the 'guts', did they replace everything or just the fill valve? That is, did they remove the tank and replace the thing the flapper seats against? I'm guessing they did not. If so, the old flapper can warp/twist over time due to exposure to chlorine in your water. It's really not a big deal since they are easily enough replaced.

But this is a Kohler and it is possible that a standard universal flapper won't fit quite right. You may need to look for a more direct replacement.

• leslie2004
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, good point. I didn't watch so maybe they didn't actually replace that seat, I just assumed they did. It seemed like since the leak didn't exist before they came out the first time (they were called because it wasn't filling right) I thought it had to be due to something they did and not just a coincidence that the flapper seat suddenly also caused a problem - but that could be it I guess. Again, I REALLY REALLY hope the fill hose adjustment from this morning fixed it and I can go away and quit bothering you nice people with my plumbing stupidity.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

If you hired a union plumber they are supposed to stand behind their work. Did you supply the parts? Cheap enough they should have redone it

But $400 should have gotten you a new toilet. Kohler is a tad tricky with rather specific parts. Like it or not the chlorine in the water will damage stuff. Feel the ring that the flapper rests on and see if it feels smooth or has rough spots. You might be able to clean off any hard water build up and get it to work better

You would be amazed at what can break a toilet. (Property manager w lots of toilets to deal with)