Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julieschrader

Please help with water softener!

Jules
9 years ago

Update: results from water lab added below.

We're building a new house with a well and need a water softener. I have no knowledge in this area and am thoroughly confused, so your help would be most appreciated!

I've met with two water treatment reps so far (EcoWater and Hague) and will meet with a third (Kinetico) this week.

We have three three-piece bathrooms, one four-piece bathroom, two clothes washers, one dishwasher, two ice makers, water lines in two refrigerators, an outdoor shower and a hot tub. Three people will live in the house full time, but we expect lots of house guests during the summer months.

Pricing I've been given including equipment, installation, starter salt and tax:
EcoWater ECR3502R40 - $1489
Hague Watermax 62AMQ1 - $2395

Any feedback or recommendations on the info I've been given so far?
Should I also consider a Fleck water softener?

This post was edited by jujubean71 on Mon, May 19, 14 at 13:27

Comments (6)

• User
    9 years ago

The wild discrepancy in hardness numbers from the two reps you have seen so far is precisely why you need your own independent water test from a reputable lab. Your state's web site should have a list of certified water labs from which to choose. You want to know: pH, TDS, hardness, iron, manganese, sulfates, nitrates, VOC, bacteria, and any other items recommended or required by your state - different areas have different issues and concerns so will make somewhat different testing recommendations. If you take a look at a sample of the water in a clear glass container, does it have any color?, odor, particulates? Once you have that information, I can make a recommendation. Until that time, nobody can make a reliable recommendation.

All of the vendors you have spoken to so far use proprietary equipment. This generally means more expense up front and more expense if repairs are ever necessary. I prefer something industry standard with readily available parts. However, of those above, Kinetico has a very good reputation for quality and reliability - that reputation does come at a premium price.

• Jules
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Which brands offer industry standard softeners with readily available parts?

Here is our water test results from an independent lab:

• Jules
    Original Author
    9 years ago

alice, our water does not have any noticeable color nor particulates, and it has an extremely faint odor.

Thanks so much for your help!

• Jules
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I met with the Kinetico rep this morning, and he gave me a quote.

Pricing I've been given so far:
    Kinetico S150 - $3299
    EcoWater ECR3502R40 - $1489
    Hague WaterMax 62AMQ1 - $2395

I've read on other threads that the Fleck 9100SXT is often recommended as a non-proprietary twin tank system.

Opinions?

The Kinetico price seems really high as I read on other threads that the same price is quoted on their S250 or S350 models.

Interesting that the lab did not report our pH level; Kinetico rep said today that it was 7.0.

Thanks!

• User
    9 years ago

Softener controllers/valves with easily accessible parts are Fleck, Clack (relatively), Autotrol. Anything else will be difficult to get.

The Fleck 9100SXT is a fine valve - a twin-tank system may be just idea way to address your situation with the multiple guests you expect to have.

• hendypurnomo
    9 years ago

I did have Kinetico rep come by too, their price is too high. I cant afford it at that moment, so I did go with Fleck 7000SXT, seems to be a durable unit. Only have it few days, but many recommend them.

Roughly I spent about $1500 on install and equipments (this include the prefilter before the softener). The shed is different story, probably spend another $500 on that alone with lots of modification.