Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bcarlson78248

Sump pump installation

My 1940 home does not currently have a sump pump, but based on water infiltration in one corner of the bathroom (there may even be a spring) I think it needs to have one added. I plan to install the pump as part of a bathroom renovation that includes moving the toilet flange and sink drain, so both the sump pump installation and fixture moves will require cutting into the concrete floor.

I understand the general process for adding a sump pump, but want to make sure I call the right type of contractor. Its much more a mechanical than a plumbing job, since it will require cutting of concrete and putting a hole through the basement wall. Are there plumbers who specialize in sump pumps, or do I need another type of contractor?

I've also already gone through the city info on permits for sump pumps, so I know some of the restrictions. I have the option of sending the water to a dry well in my yard, but most of my neighbors chose to run a pipe to the street that lets the water run down the storm sewer. I think that draining it into the street is unsightly, since its very visible, but we have high clay content soil that may require a big drain field if I try to run it onto my yard. Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks,

Bruce

Comment (1)