Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sump pump installation

Posted by bcarlson78248 (My Page) on
Fri, May 16, 14 at 15:10

My 1940 home does not currently have a sump pump, but based on water infiltration in one corner of the bathroom (there may even be a spring) I think it needs to have one added. I plan to install the pump as part of a bathroom renovation that includes moving the toilet flange and sink drain, so both the sump pump installation and fixture moves will require cutting into the concrete floor.

I understand the general process for adding a sump pump, but want to make sure I call the right type of contractor. Its much more a mechanical than a plumbing job, since it will require cutting of concrete and putting a hole through the basement wall. Are there plumbers who specialize in sump pumps, or do I need another type of contractor?

I've also already gone through the city info on permits for sump pumps, so I know some of the restrictions. I have the option of sending the water to a dry well in my yard, but most of my neighbors chose to run a pipe to the street that lets the water run down the storm sewer. I think that draining it into the street is unsightly, since its very visible, but we have high clay content soil that may require a big drain field if I try to run it onto my yard. Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks,

Bruce

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sump pump installation

If you have water infiltration, you want to speak to a contractor that specializes in that issue, typically not a plumber. Simply installing a sump pump may not be adequate to solve the problem - you may need a drain system installed around the home's perimeter.

If you have clay soil, pumping the water to the storm drain will be best. Run the pipe underground if you don't wish to look at it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here