Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
code reqm't, water shut-off per apartment

Posted by johnax (My Page) on
Fri, May 24, 13 at 15:07

I'm going to do some re-plumbing at a small apartment bldg and note a requirement (in the 2010 California code) that says I need to be able to shut off water on a per-apartment basis.

The way I read it, it seems to not require a single-point shut-off per apartment, so the only thing that leaves is the tub/shower. How is that normally handled - behind a panel?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: code reqm't, water shut-off per apartment

I'm not familiar with CA code, but typically apartments and condos, any sort of a building that has a "common" water supply, does need a shutoff per unit or per fixture so that work can be done in a specific unit without having to shut down the water supply to the entire building.

We normally handle that by using shower valves with built in "stops".

Stops are small valves on the hot and cold supply sides of a shower valve. You need to work on the valve, you rotate the stops. Then the valve can be serviced.

Not sure if that'll fulfill your code requirement, or if you need a no kidding valve for the shower branch lines. You can ask your AHJ for clarification.

o
RE: code reqm't, water shut-off per apartment

Before you proceed ensure you have interpreted the code correctly by confirming it's intent with the building department. Here a "main" shut off must be installed where the main supply line enters the unit, in some cases 1 each for hot and cold. If you are doing the replumb from scratch an independent shot off for each fixture would be a smart move regardless of code. I would run the supply lines for the tub, shower from below the bathroom sink where I can easily isolate the tub, shower. No need for a panel in that case.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here