Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kailuamom_gw

E-coli & well nubie

kailuamom
11 years ago

Hi All -

This is my fist post on the pluming forum, so forgive me if I am ABSOLUTELY CLUELESS - I know I am!

Here's the scoop.

We are in California, I say this as I understand the requirements may vary based on state. So I am looking for opinions on what should be done, rather than state statute, which I will work out separately.

We are in contract to buy a home on septic and well water. As part of our investigation, we have inspected both the septic and well systems (and the water tested for potability).

Potability failed (both coliform and e-coli)and septic failed. There are large cracks in the tank, it needs to be replaced.

So... to move forward, I want a credit to install a new septic tank, and I want the water potable and credit for a treatment system to keep it potable.

I have looked into it, and it looks like a UV system would make sense for the potability - do you agree? If so.... are there favorites?

My question to you.... If it turns out we need a water softening system, is this separate from the UV system or is this integrated? The water conditioning is on us the buyers, and I would prefer to fuss with that after close, taking time to evaluate best options. However, potability needs to be addressed now.

Does it make sense to tackle these issues separately, or does one system manage all issues?

Thanks for your expert perspective!

Comments (6)