Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Earthy/Dirty Smelling Water

Posted by Kim1182 (My Page) on
Sat, May 4, 13 at 13:53

I've tried searching for info, but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for, so thought I'd post in the hopes someone can at least give me a little more information than what I have now!

A few weeks ago we had some serious rainfall and our basement flooded (we received more rain in 24 hrs than we did all spring last year!). We had just over a foot of water down there once the 2nd pump kicked in. It is an unfinished basement - dirt floor, old original stone work from the 100+ year old farmhouse; the only things in the basement are furnace (up on risers a good 3 feet off the ground), water softener and water heater (also on risers about a foot off the ground). Ever since we had the high water in the basement, we've noticed a very strong smell coming from the water - it can only be described as earthy.

It's mainly the hot water which smells; we checked the water flowing straight from the well pump and it doesn't have that earthy smell - it smells like regular well water (minerals, iron, etc). The cold water doesn't have a very strong smell of earth/dirt, mostly the hot water.

My very uneducated guess would be our water heater is going out and we need a new one. We purchased this house about 3 years ago, and I don't know what the purchase date of the water heater is - my husband looked at it and said it appears to be at least 10-15 years old, if not pushing 20.

We had very heavy rainfall/flooding the first year we moved in here, and did not have this problem...which leads me to believe it may be one of the appliances and not the source of water. We plan on having someone come out to look at things, but I'd like to be a little better educated on what the possibilities may be. I really appreciate any assistance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Earthy/Dirty Smelling Water

The entire fresh water plumbing system, including the water heater is essentially sealed and pressurized. If water that could get into, say, the water heater, as a result of the flooding you would have noticed a leak when the waters receded. You could flush the water heater by draining it, refilling it, draining it again, and filling it again.

I think the problem lies elsewhere...

o

Thanks for your reply, Mike.

We are getting a new water heater very soon as we discovered it was 26+ years old (testement to the brand for lasting that long, I guess)!

After having both the water heater and the well chlorinated, we're still experiencing the odor, but not as severe. I think it is because we didn't completely drain the water softener and heater (the location of both make it difficult to perform maintenance - limite space!) We plan on cleaning out the softener as soon as we're out of salt, and hopefully we'll see an improvement.

Again, thank you taking the time to reply!

o

Raise the temp on the WH to 140 degrees for at least a few hours and then lower it back to your normal setting.

See if that helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here