Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plumbing length cause leaking pipes

Posted by rogplumer (My Page) on
Sun, May 19, 13 at 13:37

Is it possible for the "run" or length of pvc be too long or rigid that it may cause too much pressure on the 45's in the area.
Have had a leak at the same joint 3 times. One plumber said that it needs a flex area as it can be caused by the "jarring" of the area when water goes on and off. I believe it is the hot area. Have a hot water circulater for the warm water.
Any help would be great as have had to redo ceiling drywall several times...........
HELP!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plumbing length cause leaking pipes

PVC is not suitable for hot water.

You need at least CPVC.

Plastic pipe expands a lot more than metal with temperature changes.

Put at least a U-bend in the middle of the long run to allow more movement.

This post was edited by brickeyee on Sun, May 19, 13 at 14:01

o

A few questions:

1. Are you certain it is PVC and not CPVC? Brickeyee is correct that PVC is not suitable for hot water - it is important to know precisely what the pipe material is.
  2. Diameter of the pipe?
  3. Length of the straight run?
  4. Temperature of the circulating water
  5. Coolest temperature to which the pipe is exposed

The correct size for an expansion loop is easy enough to calculate given the above information. Loop size will be mute, of course, if the pipe is the wrong material.

o

it is 1" pipe and it is cpvc..the length is at least 20 feet. it does not have a U bend. a plumber suggested some kind of flex at the intersection..whatever that means..i dont know the temp of the water, but it is the hot feed all 3 times. any further help on the "flex" or whatever that means.
Thanks

o

Okay, I asked the question I asked because they are ALL required in order to calculate the proper size for an expansion U for your pipe. If you can't provide those answers, nobody can help you.

This post was edited by aliceinwonderland_id on Fri, May 24, 13 at 21:33

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here