Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dreamgarden_gw

New efficiency standards coming for residential water heaters in

dreamgarden
9 years ago

I had a plumber out today to fix a leak under my sink. I mentioned my water heater was nearing the end of its life and asked how much it would cost to replace it. He told me there are new regulations on the horizon that will go into effect in 2015. Said he and other plumbers at his company went to a seminar where a manufacturer described what changes are coming into play. Our plumber said the prices of water heaters are set to double and if we wait to replace ours after July of this year, we might have to pay more.

We made an appointment to get one next week. The one we have now is a 40 gal installed in 2002. Long past the 6 yr warranty. We are replacing it with a Rheams 50 gal, gas. Very glad he mentioned it now before the prices go up.

I'm all ears if anyone has any other considerations to add to this!

New efficiency standards for residential water heaters are on the horizon
What the 2015 standards mean for manufacturers, contractors and consumers
Jun 5, 2013-Candace Roulo

COMMENTS 20
In less than two years, new water heater energy efficiency standards will be in effect, starting in April 2015. U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Secretary Steven Chu announced in April of 2010 that the Department had finalized higher energy efficiency standards for a key group of heating appliances that will together save consumers up to $10 billion and prevent the release of up to 164 million metric tons of carbon dioxide over 30 years. These new standards for residential water heaters, pool heaters and direct heating equipment such as gas fireplaces will reduce air pollution, prevent the release of harmful nitrogen oxides and mercury, and avoid emissions equivalent to taking 46 million cars off the road for one year, the DOE said."

Links that may be useful:

contractormag.com/residential-plumbing/new-efficiency-standards-residential-water-heaters-are-horizon

ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/build/msg0207451810830.html

Comments (3)