Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lead-free / all stainless faucets ... ?Grohe RealSteel® 

Posted by Sun43 (My Page) on
Mon, May 13, 13 at 12:59

After reading many forum posts and in particular, this link that helpful forumers provided on another thread, we're trying to see if we can afford an "all stainless" potfiller in the kitchen - no brass inside. Since we boil our (cold) tap water for drinking, the potfiller would be the source of the majority of our drinking water. Good investment i suppose.

We have certainly heard / read that MGS and Graff makes all-stainless faucets, no brass ... but they have prices to match.

The showroom consultant recommends Grohe RealSteel® (Ladylux?) - at ~$1200 list price it is certainly NOT CHEAP, but it's a bargain compared to MGS, and we'll probably get something around 35% off since she's offering us contractor pricing, so that's not bad.

My question is, is RealSteel®  really all stainless steel, no brass? It does have a ceramic cartridge .... i know nothing about plumbing mechanisms, so does the water get in touch with the cartridge parts?? Does the water get in touch with anything that is not stainless steel in this faucet? or is "RealSteel® " just one of those gimmick trademark name-game that CALLS itself that, put an "R" next to it, but still has __% of brass etc etc?

We do realize that the best foolproof option would be to go with MGS... you do get what you paid for, but I'm not about to spend $2000 + on a kitchen faucet. Plus, we'd have to order it online, i dont think any of our local showrooms carry it (therefore, no contractor discount for us).

would appreciate any insider info on what the deal is with Grohe RealSteel®.... is RealSteel® the Real Deal? LOL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lead-free / all stainless faucets ... ?Grohe RealSteel® 

I don't understand what the problem is with brass / ceramic / plastic in a faucet? Can you explain.

Why do you boil your water? Does this have something to do with wanting a SS faucet?

o

Geoffrey_B: oh, boiling water is just a habit of my family's. I went thru years of drinking straight from the tap when I moved out for school, but got back into the habit once we started having babies (and had to mix infant formula etc). Boiling does give it a different taste, it's what you're used to etc. We do drink regular tap water when we're in restaurants and traveling though.

but this makes it convenient for us to narrow down what we need when it comes to investing in WHICH kitchen faucet (we have 2 sinks and a pot filler). If we're boiling all our drinking water, and most of the stock cooking will also be from the cold pot filler tap, then it makes sense to invest in the pot filler.

All the "say no to plastic" things i've recently read are best summarized on this VERY detailed blog:
http://starcraftcustombuilders.com/sources.faucets.htm

brass is an alloy, and to my understand, MAY still contain lead even this day and age. As for ceramic (in cartridge), i'm not sure if that matters - i was hoping someone from this forum can enlighten me. Does the water actually touch parts inside the cartridge? or is the cartridge separated from where the water actually passes?

o

"The irony is that, after all the fuss about lead in faucets, faucets are rarely the primary source of lead in household water supplies."

http://starcraftcustombuilders.com/sources.faucets.htm

There are far more likely hazards in your house.

Like stairs, and a bathtub.

Or probably even a 5 gallon bucket partially filled with water.

Ever notice the warnings about children drowning in them?

o

brickeyee: naah, better safe than sorry. Yes, there ARE many other hazards, things out of our collective control, but I choose to "control" the few things that I **could**. Most people wear seatbelts yet there are still fatal car crashes daily. Does that mean people should give up wearing seatbelts altogether?

I wouldn't go as far as "changing out" all the old faucets (and ?pipes) in an existing house to go "lead free" or "low lead" (plastic-free in terms of pipes), but if it's a new build (and it is for us), then why not do it "correctly" from the start? That being said, I can't afford a MGS faucet.... hence this thread and my questions!

o

Most household water in the US (unless from a contaminated source) is much more likely to contain chemical impurities than biological contamination. Another irony, Brickeye, is that boiling water before consuming it concentrates those chemical impurities and arguably makes it less safe to drink over the long term, rather than more.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but to me it would be better for you and your family to act thoughtfully rather than habitually. If you'd rather be safe than sorry, stop boiling your water. It's unnecessary UNLESS your water source is contaminated. If your water is contaminated, the best thing to do is move.

o

"brass is an alloy, and to my understand, MAY still contain lead even this day and age. As for ceramic (in cartridge), i'm not sure if that matters - i was hoping someone from this forum can enlighten me. Does the water actually touch parts inside the cartridge? or is the cartridge separated from where the water actually passes?"

Don't be a phobe. Quit boiling your water, and buy a faucet like the other 300,000,000 people in the US drink from. Ceramic - don't you eat off of dishes? Brass - probably the pumps and fittings at the water works are brass. Plastic - ever drink out of a plastic cup or bottle? Do you think manufacturers make toxic products?

Notice that people's life expectancy is constantly increasing.

o

The OP is paralyzed by the 'precautionary principal' and will waste huge amounts of time, money, and effort chasing after gremlins that are of no consequence.

Boiled water usually tastes pretty flat since the dissolved gasses are driven out, along with concentrating any non-volatiles with a boiling point over 212F.

o

we don't live in the U.S.A.....
but I ***am*** a health care provider so i perhaps see more anecdotal evidence (or should i say, "cases") of chronic diseases that do seem to occur in household-clusters (not genetically linked individuals). Like i said... better safe than sorry. Yes, 52% of the population do get diagnosed with cancer over a lifetime, and there might not be much we can do about it, whether it's using sunscreen or trying to avoid lead in water fixtures.

"Do you think manufacturers make toxic products?"
errr, well, BPA was still in most eating utensils including baby milk bottles until the smarts out there made a call for us, not THAT long ago. And aesbestos was routinely used without special precautions not THAT long ago. So, YES, i DO think that manufacturers do make toxic products, although i don't think they do it "knowingly" or maliciously.

o

"see more anecdotal evidence"

The plural of anecdote is not data.

o

I'm gonna guess from your comments that you're not the type of health care provider whose education and training, and whose work, requires any understanding of epidemiology.

Unless you live in a third world country or somewhere with a contaminated source, boiling drinking water is unnecessary. Absent such circumstances, to advocate same is irresponsible.

o

Brass without lead is going to turn green and corrode like an old penny. Our 'gubmint' is bent on protecting us from all these hazzards. AFAIK - there are no documented cases of anyone having ill effects from using a brass faucet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here