Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how do i remove this trap?

Posted by dougbr (My Page) on
Fri, May 16, 14 at 12:20

It looks like its connected to the cast iron waste pipe with a threaded adapter. Pipe wrench won't bite, it just slides around. Would a chain wrench work on a chromed trap pipe? Any secrets to this? It's been in there 40 years probably.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how do i remove this trap?

The trap (part on the right of the photo) looks like it's connected using lead. That doesn't look like a threaded connection.

o

I'd cut it off with a sawzall about 1/4" away from the hub, cut it on the inside almost through to the threads in three places and then collapse it to remove it.

Then clean the threads before inserting a new trap adapter.

o

The method that snoonyb talks about is probably the only way to do it.

You can cut it just once and then use a chisel to collapse it at the cut also. When I've had to do that, I've used a manual hacksaw blade in a holder so I don't overdo the cut into the female fitting too much.

o

It does look like it's caulked with lead but it looks like it's attached that way to a threaded adapter. if i can get it out of the adapter with a torch, is there a fernco donut that would work to attach a new trap? If not I'll try cutting and chiseling as suggested. Thanks.

o

The trap will be of a softer metal and will response easily to heat.

However there are a couple of downsides to a torch;
The joint may have been silver soldered, which will require a hotter burning gas, than NAP.

So, unless you use a heat sink, (a wet towel), and are quick, can allow the heat to migrate to the cast hub causing it to fracture.

Yes there are the appropriate size no-hub couplings.

Which in the end, may be a simpler solution.

Remove some more of the wall to the right in the photo to investigate removing and replacing the whole assembly, all of which can be accomplished with fernco's. and ABS fittings.

Your time, your money

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here