Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
waltdr01

Water softener, Conditioner, Iron Filter

waltdr01
9 years ago

In 2001 I purchased a PSGOH from Clearwater (Kinetico). They showed Hardness 11, Iron 3., TDS 200, Ph 6.5, no odor, Chlorine-None, Sand-none, water pressure 30/30, 3/4 inch pipe. This is well water. The unit is no longer working and I am being told it would be difficult to find parts as they do not carry the unit anymore...When I bought the unit it was new tech. and they stopped carrying not too long after I bought it.

I have had Hague and Kinetico out. Both gave me 18 in hardness. Kinetico gave me1.5 on Iron and 380 on TDS and no other info. Hague shows Ph 7, Iron 1 (slow) and no other info.

Hague is quoting #5600 1 cu. $1,000. and quoted an Iron filter at $1,000, but no name but also has a Fleck head. Sounds like a tank with materials in it with a Fleck head and says it is $200.00 about every 5 years for them to come out replace the materials. Only cost $300.00 to rebuild the Fleck Softener, if needed. But they have had them out in the field for years.

Of course, Kinetico wants $3595.00 for a S-150 and you get a K5 RO free (?) and I am told that it will take all my iron out. I have been told this many times that a water softener will take out the iron. the PSGOH took out most of the iron, but not all and I never felt the water was soft.

Does the water softener have to work harder when you try to use it as an iron filter? I had the same problem at a previous home. It had a Culligan and it never took out any iron. When I bought a used iron filter, it took out all the iron and the water finally got soft and the water was great then.

I know you say you are married to Hague, Culligan, and Kinetico if you use them, but at this point Hague seems reasonable. I did ask Hague about the 5600 SXT because someone had stated on a forum that the head went bad and you may have to replace the unit every 5-6 years and it sounded like that was the one that was digital, SXT.

I have thought about a whole house water conditioner (which I believe is actually what the Kinetico unit is), and again there are so many out there and a wide range of prices.

Recommendations?

Comment (1)