Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gas water heater - Gas need to be on for pressure?

Posted by brinked (My Page) on
Sat, May 7, 11 at 12:05

I am sorry, this is probably a stupid question. I just purchased a home this friday and the water is not coming out very good at all. The house has gas to it (unlike my current condo which only has electric). My question is: Does the gas need to be on for the water heater to pump the water through the lines?

I know the gas is what heats the water, but does it also push it out as well? I know this is probably a common sense thing, but I never had to mess with this stuff before.

Thanks!

Will

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gas water heater - Gas need to be on for pressure?

The gas has nothing to do with normal water pressure.

o

oh ok. thanks for answering my question.

The water is not coming out with much pressure on the first floor. On the second floor, there is no water coming out at all.

The water was working perfectly the day before we closed. I setup my account with the water company and they said the water is turned on. The water company sent someone but left a notice, I am not yet occupying the residence so I wasnt there, I cant live in a place that has no running water.

o

In my area the utility would turn on the service at their meter, but leave it turned off at the house. Check the shutoff valve at the service entrance, you may find that it is turned off. If it is old, you may also find that it broke when someone turned it off or tried to turn it back on.

o

You have no cold water either?

o

the flow is very slow and only on the first floor and there is only cold water, but the pressure is so low its hard to make any use of it anyway.

I guess I will have to wait until monday for the water company to send someone back there.

o

Check and see if the main valve in the house is not open fully.

They are normally a ball or gate valve.

The gate valve takes a lot of turns to open all the way.
Keep turning it counterclockwise until it stops.

o

Keep turning counterclockwise until it stops, then turn 1/4 turn clockwise - this will prevent binding up your valve.

o

"this will prevent binding up your valve."

And may cause leaking at the packing by not back seating the valve.

o

Is there a water outlet valve for your hot water heater, and is it all the way open?

o

You may have a water pressure regulator somewhere in your main that has failed. I've seen this happen before, and it does what you describe... very low pressure. In the Southeast U.S., they typically bury these things in the yard 2-3 feet downstream from the meter. There's usually a box around it, but a lot of the time, the box fills with dirt and then the yard grows over it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here