Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rodent in shower drain?

Posted by ginnyginny (My Page) on
Tue, May 1, 12 at 10:44

I woke up last night to the sound of a critter in my bathroom. It sounded like my cat chewing dry cat food. (My cats are shut out of the bedroom/bathroom at night by a closed door.)

I banged on the wall and the sound stopped. I didn't have the courage to take a look.

My question is what to do about this critter that must be coming up through the shower drain. Of course there is a grate over the drain.

I saw no sign of him in the toilet this morning so again, I'd think the shower drain is where he was having fun. What was the sound I heard, chewing on the grate?

Thanks for your help!!

Ginny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rodent in shower drain?

Not a critter... Zombie for sure!

o

"My question is what to do about this critter that must be coming up through the shower drain."

Or in the wall, or an attic.

o

Squirrel in the attic. Or possum. Or raccon. Or rat. In your attic, or crawlspace, or walls. NOT in your shower drain. You need to go up in your attic and inspect and also inspect the exterior as to where the access point might be. Then you need a professional to trap or poision said critter and another to repair the damage he's done and make sure that every single access point is properly shut up.

o

I'm assuming you say it's impossible for anything to come up through the shower drain and make that noise?

I have had rats in my garage and outside, partly because I stored fertilizers in my garage. They are out now and I haven't seen a rat in the garage. I guess he hasn't given up on my house as a source of food.

The chewing sound I heard was the critter eating my house I guess?

Oh my gosh - I love my house but it's falling apart bit by bit; it's 55 years old.

Thanks so much. I will call the rodent company today.

Ginny

o

I had a similar sound. It was mice in the attic crawlspace. A few mousetraps and peanut butter took care of the problem

o

We had a drain hole in our bathroom under/near the water heater (to drain it into the crawl space, I assume). Anyway, we found that mice were coming up through that little hole at night to snack on the dog food--which the dog did not appreciate.

Hope you solve your zombie soon!

o

If it turns out not to be rodents, this may help.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to get rid of Zombies

o

It is rats in the walls coming from the attic. Rodent company came out yesterday, set traps in attic(saw lots of droppings) and sealed up one place in the attic and one in the garage where they can enter.

Thanks for your help with this.

Ginny

o

It is quite possible that it was a rat or mouse trying to chew through the cross in the drain line however I would not be overly concerned about it and I certainly would not worry about an opening in a drain line in the house.

In all probability, if it was a rodent in the drain line, it came in through the drain lines from the municipal sewer main. Generally when that occurs they will claw and chew frantically for a short time in an effort to escape, but once they realize their efforts are fruitless, they generally return the same way they came in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here