Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jomaxwel

Water softener clarification

jomaxwel
9 years ago

I need to replace a old box store water softener in a home I just purchased. I know that I need a 40,000 grain system and I'm going to be using a unit with a Fleck 5600 STX or ecominder head.
I recently had a salesman from Kinetico come out and quote a system for me. This is were things get fun and scare me. He is giving me this (40,000 grain single tank unit with a Fleck ecominder head). I don't wish to pay the vanity price for a Kinetico name badge. He stated his systems resin is blended for my homes water and is far superior to what I can buy online. Is this true? His resin comes from DOW corning here in Michigan which I like. And the unit online is using purolite resin (10% crosslink and fine mesh available). Salesman also stated if tannins are an issue he can add a type of resin later to fix that issue but he thinks its just light iron issue we are having.
Is this info true or just sales tactics? I should add I'm on a private well with 11 grains hardness and .03 ppm iron. Thanks to anyone with any input.

Oh and the system I would be buying online is from discountwatersofteners.com.

http://www.discountwatersofteners.com/fleck-5600-sxt-on-demand-40-000-grain-water-softener.html

Comments (4)

• jomaxwel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I dont know if this matters but I will also have a pre 20" 20 micron sediment filter and a post 20" carbon filter.

• justalurker
    9 years ago

Without you posting the results of a comprehensive water test done by a certified independent lab we can't speak intelligently to your specific water treatment requirements.

Have you at least had your well tested for nitrates and bacteria by a certified lab?

Since you ""know" you need a 40k softener I won't speak to correctly sizing a softener but your chosen softener is lacking important components.

I'll just address your specific questions...

Purolite resin is very high quality.

The amount of cross link of the resin will not matter as you are on a non-chlorinated well.

If iron is present then iron must be treated. If tannins are present then you'll want to treat tannins.

Pre and post softener filters ALWAYS matter. Unless there is a specific need they should be avoided and when they are used they should be carefully sized to avoid pressure loss and installed with ball bypass valves for easy service.

Good luck and let us know how everything works out.

• jomaxwel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your response as I have learned all I know about water softeners in the last month. I had the well tested by a certified lab for the basics (harmful stuff) before purchase (not a comprehensive test). I do have iron bacteria in my well. From what I can gather it is safe and normal though.
    I guess my bigger question is can he blend a perfect resin for my water? Can he add a resin to remove tannins to a tank after the fact? Or is this just smoke and mirrors. I like the guy but I want to make a knowledgeable decision.

Also if it such a science to properly fit a water softener to a home how do the sales people do it without such info? I'm not being facetious just trying to gain a little knowledge.

This post was edited by jomaxwel on Sat, May 3, 14 at 12:10

• justalurker
    9 years ago

The answer to your question is that a large percentage of softeners sold in the US are undersized and hardness leaks through unknown to the home owner. If you pay for soft water then you ought to get it all the time.

Sizing a softener is based on water conditions (in detail), water usage, plumbing size of service and return lines, SFR, and efficient use of both water and salt in regeneration. Whether a softener is correctly sized is determined by the sizer's(?) consideration and understanding of those variables not the price of the treatment equipment or the amount of the monthly payment or the free soap you get with the softener.

The salesperson is intent on closing the sale and that often means a presentation of the lowest cost unit regardless of whether it meets the needs of the installation or not.

The most knowledgeable softener people I've found on the net are woefully ignorant of how to do what they say they do and seem to rely on charts tilted towards profitability and lowest shipping costs for them rather than correct softener sizing or they are locked in the past and do things the way that they have been for 40 years.

With respect, in water treatment a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Success comes more often when you know what you don't know and seek out the facts. If you don't then as Clint Eastwood said in Dirty Harry... "... do you feel lucky...?"

If you've taken the time to search this forum you have read volumes regarding correct softener sizing, softener set up for efficient operation, and what components are important and often not included by online sellers and why. You will also have read posts from people who "know" what size softener they need, buy it, and then come looking for help to get it to do what they intended to have it do or why it won't.

Water treatment is physics, chemistry, and mechanics... simple as that if one takes the time to learn it... or ask someone who knows.

This post was edited by justalurker on Sat, May 3, 14 at 13:48