Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
finding drain pipe under basement floor

Posted by rwiegand (My Page) on
Fri, May 16, 14 at 9:56

I'd like to tap into the drain pipe under my basement floor to provide a drain for the condensate and a humidifier on my furnace, being one to trust gravity much more than pumps. Any good hints as to how to map out the locations? I was once told that the cleanout was set to face in the direction that the pipe runs, is that reliably true? Also wondered whether an infrared camera could see them after running hot water through. The logic of how the various standpipes might be connected is ambiguous.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: finding drain pipe under basement floor

What I've been told for my area is that the sewer pipe running to the street enters the house at a point parallel to the incoming water line, but under the basement. I also assume it runs directly from the entry point to the main soil stack. Using those two points I have a fairly good idea of where the main sewer pipe runs under the basement floor.

My approach would be more complicated if I had multiple soil stacks, since I wouldn't be able to see how the lines fit together under the floor.

Bruce

o

Do you have access to infrared camera? That actually might be an idea if you are determined to do this.

Another similar idea is a metal drain snake and a metal detector - if your floor doesn't have rebar in it.

Of course a 3/4 PVC drain line along the wall to the floor drain is workable solution that you see often also. Beats jack hammering the floor and tapping into cast iron or clay pipe.

o

Thanks for the suggestions, if I had a floor drain or only one main stack I'd be in great shape, but I don't.

o

If I was worried about the pump, I'd sit it another pan with a $10 water alarm at it's side. If it ever fails, I'd hear it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here