Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
painting copper pipe?

Posted by pepperidge_farm (My Page) on
Sun, May 3, 09 at 9:27

In our new bath, we installed a new radiator (runtal towel warmer) that has copper tube running to it from the back. It is just a few inches, but the pipe is not "pretty" and we would like to paint it.

I have purchased Krylon spray paint and primer that is meant for use on metal surfaces, but I am hesitant to apply it without knowing for sure that it will not cause damage to the copper tube!

Any info on this, recommendations, danger of damaging the pipe??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: painting copper pipe?

There is no danger of damaging the pipe or fittings however I would offer one bit of caution. There is no doubt a minor film of soldering flux on the pipe and fittings at the solder joints. While your paint will adhere fine to the copper, it may not adhere to the areas where the flux film remains. Before you begin painting scrub the pipe and fittings about 1" on either side of the solder joint with a good detergent.

A little bit of laundry detergent mixed in water and scrubbed on with an old tooth brush will work fine. Wipe dry with a clean cloth or paper towels then let it air dry overnight before you begin painting.

o

Thanks lazypup- I figure that the flux residual is likely doing more harm anyway!!

I have NO intention of taking it off and needing to rework that pipe anyway, but I suppose that emery paper would get the paint off it needed in the future ;-)

Appreciate the reassurance and tips!

o

I have made repairs on many copper pipes that have been painted. Hit the paint a moment with the torch then emery and voila, your ready to solder again. No worries!

o

"Before you begin painting scrub the pipe and fittings about 1" on either side of the solder joint with a good detergent."

I would scrub any place you want to paint.

Even oil and grease from hands can cause problems for paint adhering to metal surfaces.

They need to be very clean for a long lasting paint job.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here