Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
excessive stink from stink pipe!

Posted by joannem (My Page) on
Mon, May 1, 06 at 8:55

Upon completion of our addition, there has been an excessive amount of odor from the stink pipe. The plumber came and agreed that the amount of odor is well above normal. He has no reasoning behind it and has since stopped returning our calls...Has anyone ever had this issue? We are concerned that maybe there was some damage to the septic system during construction. I think I need to have some one out to inspect the situation. Until then, I just want to better arm myself for what I believe may be a fight with our plumber.

Any advise is greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: excessive stink from stink pipe!

Let me think.

How does one get " excessive stink from the stink pipe?" I guess it is a matter of degree. There is a substantial difference between the constructions beyond the house of a septic system and a municipal drain.

First, think of a municipal type, where a system of low running sewage pipes traverse a district, creating a virtually cesspool. Into this system, all building drains are poured via gravity. And the building sewer and the drain lines to it are completely ventilated to the atmosphere open on both ends.

This line receives sewage from trapped water fixtures, making it a one-way street. But there is a certain amount of air (which is the whole amount of gases in the open atmosphere) which respires. Like animal respiration, air moves in both directions in a sewer vent.

The ordinary vented line will not produce enough malodorous gas to detect in most cases. Even when a person works near a roof vent, the gases are low-grade and intermittent.

But you dont have that. It follows that the vent is providing a direct output of gases produced by the septic process. And whether in a municipal or private system, it indicates that the sewage is not flowing into the proper receptor, but staying close-in.

If you also have problems with flow rate, it would indicate possible structural problems, which might mean repair. As a first step, a standard drain-cleaning is a fairly affordable expense.

Pinoke

o
RE: excessive stink from stink pipe!

Please use a BS meter to get an exact measurement of the excessive odor.

Anything over 1.65 millirems of stink per cubic bushel of normalized air (mR/Bna^3) is considered excessive. Just as a point of reference, a typical White Castle fart clocks in 2.5 mR/Bna^3 while my breath, in the morning, will top 3.0 mR/Bna^3.

On the other hand, the postings (now deleted) that offer a device that can remove the smells and reduce global warming were registering 9.5 mR/Bna^3 on the BS meter.

Here is a link that might be useful: BS Meter

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here