Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Q for pros regarding testing

Posted by booksat (My Page) on
Thu, May 2, 13 at 8:29

We just had a bathroom remodel on the second floor that included adding a shower stall. Unfortunately after we started using the shower there was a leak through the first floor ceiling.
Testing indicates that the issue is most likely at the elbow that connects the the pipe from the control unit to the pipe that runs to the showerhead.
My question is, shouldn't this have been tested before the wall was closed and tiled?
The plumber tested the system under pressure but did not test the complete system by running the water from the shower head and the hand held. He says that they don't test those parts as those pieces are straightforward and virtually never leak.

Is testing all components before closing the wall standard?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Q for pros regarding testing

Larger jobs might get a pressure test.

Since fixtures are not usualy installed at that point, some parts are not tested.

Many of the supply lines will have soldered caps on a stub.

They are cut off after the test.

o

Unless they inspected the elbow from behind, I would have thought the "most likely" was where your shower arm is screwed into the fitting in the wall (drop elbow). If so, that's easy. Unscrew it, wrap threads with teflon tape, and screw it back in.

o

thanks.
brickeye, yes, i think that the supply lines are capped during the rough in and are pressure tested, but the riser from the control to the shower head pipe and the pipe for the showerhead are in place before the wall gets closed and tiled. so, while the wall is open, shouldn't they run water through the showerhead pipe to make sure that the system is working correctly and leak free?

homebound, the elbow is behind the wall. a pipe runs out the wall form the elbow in order to support a rather large rainhead.
if that makes sense?

o

"while the wall is open, shouldn't they run water through the shower head pipe to make sure that the system is working correctly and leak free? "

Put it in the contract be prepared to pay.

The shower trim kit is not inhaled yet (handle, decorative plate, shower head (it creates the back pressure that would cause a leak).

I only do a few hundred sweat joints a year and cannot recall a leak.

The full time guys I hire for larger jobs do thousands of joints a year, without a leak.

Some of the older guys would probably consider jumping off a bridge if they had a leak.

This post was edited by brickeyee on Mon, May 6, 13 at 15:03

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here