Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sewer smell in Master Bath

Posted by nrowesn2 (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 12 at 7:38

We recently had a shower pan leak in our master bath. (single story, cement slab). After tiling was finished, we noticed a sewer smell. After making sure the p-trap wasn't dried out etc...since we haven't used the shower for over a month, we finally had a plumber come out and take a look. We eventually settled on a smoke test to see if there were any vent leaks. There was one around the toilet and so we had that taken off and the flange was busted up pretty bad and so we had that fixed thinking that was the issue. Next day, sewer smell was back and just as bad as the day before. So we cleaned/scrubed the floors and bathroom thinking that maybe some of that was tracked in and around the bathroom from using the toilet. Smelled good for the first night but now am noticing the smell coming back. I could swear that there is a small odor coming from the grout used in the shower. Has anyone ever heard of anything closely related to my problem?

thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sewer smell in Master Bath

Grout issue would most likely be mold-smell as opposed to sewer-smell. I doubt your grout is your problem.

If you're assured your traps are full, I'd be looking at clogged vents. Gas can bubble past the trap when you're unaware and remain for a considerable period of time. Just guessing....but "sewer smell" is pretty distinctive. Something's coming back in there via some undiscovered gap.

Plumbers are typically very good at this kind of diagnosis. Get another one (with a good nose) in there and noodle it out would be my suggestion.

o
PS to previous.....

Forgot to mention......

Previously-saturated flooring underlayment is a somewhat notorious cause of recurring urine-like smells. Usually worse with higher temperatures and humidity. Are you talking about sewer-gas smell or stale-urine smell?

I once bought a house previously occupied by a family with three young boys who apparently had a hard time hitting the pot. I had to remove and replace ALL of the flooring and the saturated underlying wood around the toilet to resolve. It was mysterious at first because the flooring looked fine and the smell would come and go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here