Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sooz_gw

Squishy floor in front of toilet

sooz
12 years ago

A while ago, I noticed a wet spot on the rug which is located on the floor in front of the toilet in my DH's bathroom. Who knows how long that had been going on! He pulled out the toilet and put in a new wax ring, thinking that was the problem. Before he got to work pulling the toilet, I asked him to inspect the area around the pipe and hole to see if there was any water damage or water indication around that area. When he pulled and re-seated the toilet with the new wax ring, he said he couldn't see or feel any wetness.

I forgot about the whole thing...until yesterday.

I was in his bathroom and noticed that while the rug no longer had a wet spot, now there was a squishy sound when I stepped in front of, and to the side/front of the toilet. I also thought I felt the flooring give a little bit. The floor is linoleum. DH wouldn't notice a squishy sound because of his hearing loss, and as for feeling the floor "give" a bit, well, he's just not that aware of things like that.

I'm thinking we'll need to remove the toilet, remove the linoleum and see what's what in the floor/sub floor and do repairs as needed.

We're kinda handy and can do some things as DIYers, but if we need an expert to fix the floor/sub floor etc, who do we call? A general contractor? A plumber?

I'd appreciate any suggestions, input, ideas, or links on how to problem solve this issue, or other possibilities of what might be happening.

I'm posting this over on the bath room forum too.

Thanks!

Sooz

Comments (5)