Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rumbling noise in shower pipes and no hot water

Posted by Lionheart12 (My Page) on
Mon, May 16, 11 at 2:55

I have this problem with my shower where every time I turn on the hot water, the pipes make a very loud rumbling sound and no hot water seems to come up the pipes. Cold water does work so I am not sure what the problem is.

This problem actually never occurred in the past, maybe for 16 years, and then back in 2005 or so, it started to have the rumbling noise but hot water would still come up.

Now no hot water comes up the pipes and there is a loud rumbling. Is there any way to fix this myself?

I'm not a plumber, but my best guess is that there is something wrong with the pressure in the system.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rumbling noise in shower pipes and no hot water

Sounds like something has blocked a pipe (like scale that has broken off and accumulated).

o

Lionheart,

If you have a single lever shower valve, I would pull the cartridge and check for deposits in the cartridge / valve body. You may be able to clean it, otherwise take to you local plumbing parts supplier, Home depot,... and get a replacement.

Hope that helps,

Dan

o

It is actually a bath tub/ shower combination with three dials, one for hot, cold, and the shower function.

How should I check for blockage in this setup?

Do you think cleaning out the sediments in the water boiler would do anything?

Besides a clogged pipe, what else can cause the loud rumbling in the pipes?

Thanks.

o

My father has replaced the existing faucets in the bathtub in hopes of fixing the problem and so far there does not seem to be a problem.

However, his method of installation was not great. The shower/bathtub handle actually fell off on its own after trying to twist the handle and now I want to hire a plumber but he does not approve.

How much on average does it cost to hire a plumber? His main concern is the cost vs. diy work, but I believe if our problem is not fixed by a professional, we will have more headaches down the road and will actually be spending more money.

o

Your description makes me think of scaled-up water heater -- which, depending on circumstance, can make incredible and loud noises that will certainly carry through the pipes. You described as "boiler". Can you say more about that? How big; how old; how heated; when last purged; quality of your water (hard/soft) ?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here