Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gpraceman55

Solder Torch

gpraceman55
10 years ago

Kitchen demo starts this week and I will need to cut the sink water supply lines in order to remove the old sink base. I was planning on just capping the lines until the new cabinet is installed. I have a mini torch that runs on butane but not sure if that will work well enough to sweat on 1/2" fittings.

Comments (5)

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

Barely if at all.

Copper is a very god conductor of heat (second only to silver)

If you cannot add than faster than it is moving down the pipe and escaping into the air from radiation you will not reach soldering temperature, somewhere over 700F.

Using a torch on the very edge will also require so long to heat the joint the flux may be 'cooked' out of the joint and not be effective when you get to soldering temperature.

This leaves a 'cold' joint that often leaks.

For 1/2 inch copper a slightly larger torch would help ensure a good solder joint.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    10 years ago

Buy a basic propane soldering torch. They're available at your local big box store for about $13.

You'll also need solder, flux, and something to clean the pipes and fittings. Ordinary emery cloth works just fine but there are wire brushes specific to the task. All available in the same section.

• gpraceman55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys, I'll pick up a torch. I already bought the lead free solder and flux and a cleaning brush tool. I also picked up one of those flame protector cloths.

I used to have all of that stuff, but it has been a long time since I have had to tackle soldering pipes. I've been getting a refresher on YouTube.

• bob_cville
    10 years ago

If its just to temporarily cap them until the new cabinets are installed, at which point the new valves would be put on, I'd look at getting SharkBite caps, for two of them it'd probably be less then buying a propane torch. Clean the pipe, deburr it, press cap on firmly, and done. Then to remove it use the Sharkbite removal tool, and you could then keep them to use in a similar capacity in the future.

-Bob

• gpraceman55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@bob_cville - That is exactly what I ended up doing. Yesterday, I was trying to repair a cracked valve and damaged anti-siphon valve for my sprinkler system and ended up using sharkbite connectors to make the job easier in the future, if it ever happens again. While I was at it, I picked up two of the sharkbite end caps.

For our old ice maker box, I want to cap that off with a soldered cap. I'd rather not bury a sharkbite connector in the wall. So, I need the torch anyways. I'm sure getting the stuff to solder the connection will still be cheaper than having a plumber come out to take care of it.