Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving a bathroom sink - (with mating plumbing)

Posted by imharris1 (My Page) on
Sun, May 20, 12 at 1:07

I have been reading the forum and have not found a situation quite like mine. We wish to relocate our bathroom sink drain to the right about 8 inches. The problem is the drain in the bathroom we are remodeling is mated up to the same drain pipe as from the bathroom sink on the opposite wall. I have seen where it is not legal to add an extension. Is it OK to add a new entry joint into the existing drain pipe? We would have to block off the joint from the remodeled side and only allow a single entry at the old location for the opposite sink, and add a new joint for the new sink. My husband is speaking of having to open the wall to the other bathroom (under the sink) to do all this but I really hate to tear into both bathrooms at the same time. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving a bathroom sink - (with mating plumbing)

First let me lay your fears to rest, you will not have to open the wall.

Typically the drain opening for a bathroom lavatory sink is 8" to 10" out from the wall and you want to move your sink 8" horizontal to the right or left side of its present location.

That would make the diagonal measurement from the wall opening to the proposed drain position approx. 11-5/16" to 12-1/8".

You could cut the existing trap adapter off the pipe extending from the wall, then install a sanitary 1/8 bend (DWV grade 45 deg elbow) and a new trap adapter.

You could then install your P-trap on the sink and run it diagonal into the new trap adapter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here