Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
septic tank risers

Posted by kaffine (My Page) on
Sun, May 9, 10 at 1:06

Any recomendations for a septic tank riser? I just had my septic tank pumped and had to dig up the access cover. I would rather not have to dig it up next time. It is about 18 inches deep. The tank is concrete. The lid will need to be strong enough to handle foot traffic. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: septic tank risers

Most septic companyies sell the plastic risers but they are expensive.

A 55 steel gallon drum and lid cut down works super duper and can often be found for free. I'm not sure if a plastic drum and lid will take the weight over time but my steel drum is still OK after 15 years.

Just measure what you need and fire up the torch or get the sawsall.

o

Every so often I read about someone falling through a rusted metal septic tank cover. Install a proper plastic riser and lid now, and avoid a tragedy down the road.

o

"Every so often I read about someone falling through a rusted metal septic tank cover".

I heard that too but my research showed those instances were when the actual lid on the septic tank was exposed. I never found one instance of a 55 gallon drum lid rusting through.

o

In case it is not clear, the riser merely gives easier access to the original cover on the tank. It does not substitute for the original cover.

o

The OP seemed to know that when he said "had to dig up the access cover. I would rather not have to dig it up next time. It is about 18 inches deep".

He's looking for no dig required access to the septic tank cover itself.

o

Maybe the setup on my tank is what the OP has in mind. It has plastic risers sitting over the open concrete tank ports, with a heavy plastic manhole cover on top of each riser. The covers are secured with drywall screws into the top of the riser. Alternatively, they can be secured with wire seals.

o

I am wanting to get rid of the current lid as well. It is a square concrete lid and has seen better days. Really who decided a square lid is a good idea. The guy that came to pump almost dropped it in the tank. I know if I try to remove to inspect I will drop it in the tank. So far I have found Tuf-Tite and Polylok make risers that would work. I guess I just have to see if I can get either localy or not. Thank you.

o

If the original lid will be gone, the riser has to be sealed to the tank to keep groundwater from getting in. Here's a picture of the risers being installed on my tank:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here