Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Basement Bathroom

Posted by Matt5416 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 23:57

I want to cap the existing bathroom rough-in in my basement and put in a bathroom at a different location. I have drawn up what I have in black and what I want to do in red. The drawing is not to scale. I have a few questions:

1. I can't find a vent anywhere in the ceiling over the existing rough-in so I think the were probably going to use an AAV (which is allowed in my area). After reading up on AAV's, I think I only need one for the new bathroom at the sink/lav and then the other two drains effectively wet-vent back to the sink and then dry vent from the AAV at that location. Is that correct?

2. No one else in my neighborhood has a backwater valve so I am not sure that is what the 4th pipe is, however a few plumbers have told me that is what they suspect it is (I would be happy to hear your guesses). Should I put a new one in? And if so, should it go between the existing stack and the new shower to protect the entire new bathroom?

3. Am I missing anything obvious? This doesn't seem too bad of a job (other than the jack hammering).

Thank you in advance for responding.
Matt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Basement Bathroom

Run a dedicated new vent for the new rough in. I know this drawing isn't to scale but code where I am is no fixture greater than 10' from vent. I don't think an air admittance valve will do anything for a toilet and 2 more fixtures, in fact I'll take that bet. More qualified pipe biters may concur.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here