Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I Speak to Neighbors About Septic Smell

Posted by cherry63 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 23:13

My neighbors just moved in, the house they moved into had been sitting empty for some time. Their septic system is aerobic and has a sprinkler system, when the water comes on the stench is overpowering...it smells like raw sewage.

Beyond the unpleasant odor that drives us inside, they have made a GARDEN in their backyard where this system sprays, I am scared they are going to die of cholera or something...what should I do if anything? I don't know these people at all...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I Speak to Neighbors About Septic Smell

Of course you should introduce yourself to them and talk to them.
If someone was going to walk out in front of a car wouldn't you say something?

It's easy, just go over and introduce yourself, give them your phone number in case they need to contact you about anything (prowler) and take them some cookies or a bottle of wine.

Talk to them about their septic system - they may not be familiar with aerobic system.... and then mention that it smells really bad and probably needs service since it' s been vacant so long. Let them know it shouldn't smell like that when it's working properly.

Also warn them about their garden.

If you make it about being concerned for them - instead of how you are inconvenienced-- they will still get the idea, but it will be much better received.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here