Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lipappy

Code Restrictions for Urinals in Residences?

lipappy
12 years ago

I've been scourng the internet for hours. I am building an addtion in VA and wish to install a urinal in my new master bath. In the 2009 VA Plumbing Code it provides guidelines for urinal installation, but when I filled out the plumbing application, a urinal was listed under the "commercial" fixtures only, but not under "residential."

Aside from the fact that urinals are usually installed in commercial settings, does the fact that it wasn't in the residential checklist mean that it is not allowed, or would I be able to include it in "other fixture" and explain that I would install this urinal correctly.

Is there any code that says I cannot install a urinal in a residential setting? Are urinals commercial by definiton? If so, can I install something inherently "commericial" in a residential setting?

Comments (19)

• suburbanmd
    12 years ago

You'll be interested in this article:

Here is a link that might be useful: For the High-End Bathroom, Something Unexpected

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"filled out the plumbing application"

The application is not the code.

• lipappy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Brickeyee, what's your point?

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

That the form used by the AHJ for getting permits does not alter the code.

There is no restriction on putting a urinal in a residential bathroom.
    The AHJ just does not have it on their form.

The application is not the code.

• lipappy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Suburbanmd: That's for the article. I feel more vindicated now.

Brickeyee - Ok thanks. What if the particular urinal I purchased is from a "commerical" line? It's the Toto UT104E-01. I posted a link to it below.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Urinal

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

I had a friend who did this. No issues.

Personally, I thought it made his master bath look like a Greyhound terminal men's room, but his wife liked it.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"Brickeyee - Ok thanks. What if the particular urinal I purchased is from a "commerical" line?"

Why would that matter?

The form is a convenience for the AHJ, nothing else.

I bet there are blank lines on the bottom to add in anything not already printed.

• lazypup
    12 years ago

If the urinal was specified on the initial building specs during construction it would not be difficult, although it would be rather expensive.

If you are retrofitting an existing structure you do not have a sufficient water supply to the bathroom to meet the specification for a flushometer valve.

A residential Water Closet has a 1/2" water line and is required to provide a minimum of 8psi dynamic pressure but a Flushometer valve for a urinal requires a 3/4" water line with a minimum of 15psi dynamic pressure. A flushometer for a water closet requires a 1" supply line with a minimum 15psi dynamic pressure.

• lipappy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I spoke to an inspector yesterday in my county, and he told me there is no problem installing my urinal.

Now in terms of the installation part, would it be an issue to put a 3/4" line up in there? How would I increase pressure to 15 psi if that is not normal? It's a new construction bathroom, so I could get it "plumbed" however I want.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"How would I increase pressure to 15 psi if that is not normal?"

Your pressure should be well above 15 PSI already.

• lazypup
    12 years ago

If this is new construction discuss the issue with your plumber and he/she should be able to make the necessary adjustments.

Now in regard to pressure. While it is true that you Static Head pressure is well above the 15psi minimum that does not necessarily guarantee that your Dynamic Head pressure would be sufficient. Your plumber will have to design your potable water distribution system to insure the required pressure.

• lipappy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My dad was going to be doing my plumbing. He's a contractor / handy-man and has done a lot of plumbing, in his 40 years of work, but he is not a plumber. I'm wondering if the urinal may be in over his head. How much do you think it would cost to hire an actual plumber to install my urinal?

• lazypup
    12 years ago

If you dad has worked in construction for 40 years I am sure he has met a number of plumbers who might be able to assist him in the layout. The actual installation is not difficult and should not be above his ability.

• lipappy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I hope so... I think the only thing that might trip us up is if we have to install one of those pressure-increasing whatevers in the attic.

• nyc_sport
    12 years ago

Lots of bathrooms have a urinal. Some refer to it as a "bidet."

• lazypup
    12 years ago

The Bidet is a Urinal?

That statement wins the prize as the epitome of miss information that has been presented on this board.

• lipappy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's ok... I decided never to refer to it as a "urinal" again, because it conjures up too poor an image for most folk so I now call it a 'moilet' (man-toilet) but rhymes with 'bidet' aka. "Moy-lay."

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"Lots of bathrooms have a urinal. Some refer to it as a "bidet.""

No, that is not what a bidet is for, and if you use one as a urinal you will be considered an absolute hick.

• lipappy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

...better than using a urinal as a bidet though.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus