Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Toilet flange to drain connection? Help please

Posted by Friggy (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 30, 11 at 22:37

I am wondering if the connection from a toilet flange to the drain has to be made with a closet bend(is this just a 90?)or can it be made with a combination of 1/8 bends and a Wye? Would it be better to use a 3" combo long sweep fitting? Can I then enter directly into the back of either of these fittings with a 2" reducer for my shower drain and vent? My code book does not specify if I can do this or not.

When using Wyes for drains can they lay on there sides or does the drain have to enter at a 45 or > degree angle like the vents? Also, on a fixture arm from a tub tying in below a double vanity setup, does the vent opening start at the intersection of the Wye on the drain, or does the horizontal and vertical portion going back to the double fixture fitting of the vanities have to be added in for critical distances? The vanity drain is on an exterior wall and I have a vertical drop and then a short horizontal run to meet up with the tub drain in the next joist bay,before I turn the corner to the main drain.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Toilet flange to drain connection? Help please

First off,code prohibits connecting a horizontal vent under the floor.

Code also requires that the closet flange be connected on the end of the pipe run by means of a closet bend.

They do make closet flanges called a "Low Heel Bends" or "Side inlet bends" that have a 2" connection for the tub drain at the bottom of the radius but check very carefully because they are generally not permitted by local code.

o
RE: Toilet flange to drain connection? Help please

thanks Lazypup,

I thought you were allowed to have a fixture arm length of up to 5 ft for the tub. This then ties into the double vanity drain which goes vertical to a double fixture fitting and straight up to a vent. This wouldn't be considered horizontal vent under the floor would it?

I also put the toilet flange on a closet bend, and then tied the shower in front of it with a wye and 1/8. So I guess technically the toilet is on the end of the run even though the shower is behing the toilet, but drain ties into it in front of the toilet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here