Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mydreamhome_gw

Stinky Smell From Bathroom Sink Drain--New Build

mydreamhome
11 years ago

I am hoping someone can please help me come up with why this smell is occurring and how to remedy it. We have been in our brand new house 6 months. About 2-3 months ago, I noticed a stinky smell when I would turn the water on in my bathroom sink (not a sulfur/rotten egg smell). I tried filling the sink with water to see if it was the water that was smelling stinky, but it was not. Water is clean as a whistle in all sinks throughout the house, so that tells me it's the drain. I tried the vinegar/baking soda trick and it seemed to work for a while, but now the smell is back. I asked DH about the vent being the right height so as not to get backflow & he stated that he saw the placement of everything before they sheetrocked & it was done properly. He also says he can't smell it, but he usually has a sinus thing going on and I do have a very sensitive sniffer. The bottom line is I still have this smell (try keeping your Cheerios down while hovering over the sink to brush your teeth with that smell wafting up to you) that I really need to get rid of. There are 2 sinks in the vanity and my sink smells more than DH's, but I also use my sink more than he does. Primarily we use the sinks for face & hand washing & teeth brushing--no shaving in the sinks. Anyone have any ideas?

Comments (2)