Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need a special pipe wrench

Posted by bcarlson78248 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 22:17

I have a short cast iron pipe (2.0" outside diameter) that i want to unscrew from a fitting that is inset in the wall. I have good access directly through a 12x8 access hole, but not enough clearance to fit a normal pipe wrench.

The pipe is too close to the wall behind it to get the jaw of the wrench in behind the pipe if you reach straight in, and the access opening is too small to allow the wrench to turn once I get the jaws on from any other angle.

I need a pipe wrench where the jaws are parallel to the handle, so I could reach in like you would with regular pliers and get a grip on the pipe. I've found some places online that sell offset pipe wrenches, but they are very high priced ($80-$165) and don't seem to be sold in the local stores. Anyone have a suggestion for a brick and mortar store in the DC metro area that carries them?

Thanks,

Bruce

This post was edited by bcarlson78248 on Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 22:20

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need a special pipe wrench

Try the 'under-sink' wrench, with swivel action at the jaws; can't remember what it's called, but i picked up two of them
(different jaw sizes) at our local Cloverdale Flea Market for $10.
Removed EGR piping in my Rav4in a very tight place.

o

What side of DC metro are you? Maybe a Ferguson would have it (eg. the one on General Washington Dr. has a wall of tools - Alexandria (off 395). Or another plumbing supply nearer to you.

o

"basin wrench" (but that's not the tool for this)

o

No basin wrench will clamp tight enough to loosen a waste nipple
But why does it have to come out, why won't a no-hub coupling work?

o

Is it in an orientation where you could either drill a purchase hole in the "cast" iron nipple (towards the "top" if the nip's pointing to the left...), or cut a slit in it (down to the boss it's screwed into) with a cheapo snag grinder with a 4 inch cutoff blade, and then whack that sucker axially with a dull cold chisel (or a steel drift) and three pound single jack?

That's an old school impact wrench.

o

A little more explanation - The kitchen sink drain pipe (circa 1940) was running very slow and I couldn't get a snake to run into that section because of a 90 degree bend. I cut a short section of the pipe out so I could snake it both directions, and then put it back together with two no-hub fernco connections that have the steel shield. The repaired pipe is supported by the soil stack on one side and a notched 2x4 on the other side, and it is very stable.

After looking at the build-up inside this iron pipe I decided I would like to replace it completely to reduce future flow problems. It would be great if I could also add a T for a cleanout, but it may not fit in the limited space. I will have to reassemble using no-hub fittings even if I replace the pipe.

Bruce

o

Maybe a chain wrench would do the trick. Go to Amazon.com, they have one that fits pipe up to 5" dia. You need to supply a 1/2" drive ratchet but that's it. $15.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here