Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tub drain second floor

Posted by gildomilo (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 29, 10 at 22:12

Hi There,

We're redoing our bathroom, and all the plumbing work is going to be done by a licensed plumber. I just have a couple questions that I'll ask him as well, but they're on my mind. Can the bathtub drain pipe go down to the basement through one wall and the vent go across the room and out? My reason for asking is to avoid cutting joists to run the drain pipes. If you look at

From bathroom remodel
you can see what a hack job the prior plumber did. I'd like to avoid drilling most of the joists :)

The bathroom is 7ft wide at most.

Thanks,
Gil

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tub drain second floor

The answer to both your questions is quite simple.

1. Code prohibits running a horizontal vent line under the floor.

2. Code prohibits notching the underside of a joist and it is extremely restrictive in how or where we may drill holes through the joists.

o

Thanks. They're not going to notch the new joists, there will only be holes drilled through the center of the joist. I'm going to call the building inspector on Monday and get a permit so I can hold people to their work.

I wonder how they'll get the tub venting done, maybe run it up through the attic and tie it in up there?

o

If you are close enough to the main stack you may not even need a separate vent.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here