Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
washer drain overflows

Posted by WalterDino (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 21:30

We just moved into a new (to us) house, so I'll be making good use of this community over the next few years...

The house was built in 1962 but was then vacated and renovated in the last two years before we bought it. Since no one lived in the house following the renovations, I'm not sure if the plumbing issue we're having is something due to age and wear or if it was done improperly during the renovation.

The clothes washer and utility sink are in a separate utility room that is between the kitchen and exit to the sewer line. The kitchen sink drains properly, but the washer doesn't drain fast enough and floods the utility room. The utility sink fills up with water and takes an hour or two to drain during this process. I've attachd a photo of the setup - the PVC is either 2" or 2 1/4" everywhere.

I first thought the problem was the support straps that seem to have been hastily installed - the utility sink junction was hoisted higher than the drain line on either side of it, so I was thinking that the drain may have been filling up toward the kitchen sink instead of draining the proper direction. I tried today to even out the drain line so that it has a constant slope down from the kitchen sink toward the sewer, but this didn't seem to help anything.

The sink trap is free of clogs, but I haven't checked the washer trap shown in the attached picture because it is fixed and I'm not sure I want to handle any real plumbing repairs myself.

A few other notes - when the kitchen sink is on, there is an audible gurgling sound in the area of the washer drain pipe. When the utility sink is full of water and slowly draining, there is dripping in the pipe junction closest to the washer drain on the side of the sewer.

Does the washer drain look properly set up? What would be the next step in troubleshooting the problem? I'd appreciate any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: washer drain overflows

Probably some lint stuck in the short rise and horizontal run after the trap.

It could also be from burs left on the ends of the cut pipes and not removed correctly.

It takes almost nothing to catch the very fine lint in the wash water and start to build a clog.

o
RE: washer drain overflows

Thanks, brickeyee - there was a clog from before we moved in. just had it cleaned out today - thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here