Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help!! Toilet won't flush completely!!

Posted by 1coolwhip (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 2, 12 at 21:14

Toilet is swirling, but doesn't seem to have the pressure to completely flush. If I pour water down as it flushes, it goes down fine. It never backs up, and no amount of plunging changes things, so I doubt it is a clogged line. The basement toilet is directly underneath and works just fine. I tried replacing the kit, snaking the toilet, using chemicals for toilet clogs....nothing is working. I just bought the house, and it was vacant for a couple of years. It worked just fine for a couple months, then just stopped. Any ideas??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help!! Toilet won't flush completely!!

Since your line is verified clear, your problem is inside the toilet tank. When you flush, the flapper at bottom of the tank should open up and allow the entire contents to flow out of that big opening at the bottom before it closes and seals again. If it did that, your flush would be complete. I'm suspecting bad flapper and/or bad fill-level. Don't know. Not there.

You obviously don't understand how things work in there and from cyber-distance, I can't be positive I'm steering you straight either. Suggest you get someone in there who understands how these things work and let them make it right. I have little doubt the problem is a simple/cheap one.

o

Check the holes in the toilet rim. If they are clogged, you will get slow flow into the toilet bowl and it won't flush properly. Also check the toilet tank and clear out any sand/debris.

o

Check the inside back wall of the toilet tank and you will see a "water level" line either printed on the wall or embossed into the ceramic. Make sure the fill valve is properly adjusted to fill the water to that line.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here