Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madtownwriter

Gas Control Valve/Thermostat Replacement

madtownwriter
9 years ago

Hello All,

I think this is the right forum, so here goes: The pilot light on my State Select GS6 50UOC T G 200 water heater went out, I relit it according to the instructions, but then the status light started flashing four times. The Owner's Manual tells me that this means that high water temperature has activated the over heat sensor, and that the only remedy is to replace the gas control valve/thermostat.

I'm happy to do that, no problem, but I want to be sure that I know everything that I need to before I call a plumber. First, I'm the first owner of my two-year-old house, so the system is approximately that old. Second, the gas control valve/thermostat is a Honeywell WV8860B1317, but I can't find that model anywhere. Am I mistaken about the model #? I know it exists, because I do get a few Google results, but none from Honeywell itself. Would it be okay, then, to replace it with another brand? (Some of these questions might seem silly, I know, but I'm new to home ownership, and I understand that anything that involves gas and/or heat is nothing to be uncertain about.)

Third, I'm not sure about approximately how much this should cost in terms of hiring a plumber. The hourly rates that I'm running across say between $75-90 is reasonable. Is that correct? Finally, how long would it take a plumber to install a new gas control valve/thermostat?

Thanks for any and all help,

MadtownWriter

Update: I've added a picture of the side of the Honeywell control valve/thermostat in case there was info on it that I wasn't noticing and that was important. I took it with my not-very-good phone, so I have to apologize for the poor image quality.

This post was edited by MadtownWriter on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 21:20

Comments (4)