Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
oil filter connection leaking

Posted by foodonastump (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 1, 12 at 18:32

The fitting on the "out" side of my oil burner's filter (westwood) has had a slow drip since day one. No luck getting the installer to take care of it so I figured I'd give it a shot on my own before calling someone else for service. Can/should any type of sealant be used on the threads?

While I'm at it, anything else I need to know beyond common sense like turn off the oil valve and how to prime the burner which I have to do every time I run out of oil? :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: oil filter connection leaking

"Can/should any type of sealant be used on the threads? "

That depends on what type of connection was used.

Oil lines are often flare connections, so try giving the nut a turn.

o

Thanks. The copper tubing connects to a brass fitting, and then the brass fitting screws into the cast iron top. Here's a picture, maybe not the exact model, but it's where the brass screws into the red CI that's leaking.

o

Any pipe dope rated for WOG (water, oil, gas).

o

That's what I needed to know - Thanks!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here