Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need bathtub filling faucet with decent gpm

Posted by pearlbegonia (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 2, 12 at 18:25

It seems that the wall mount faucets that I've looked at either have a gpm of not more than 2.5 or else they don't show a gpm at all. I would like a higher gpm in order to fill the tub before the water gets cold. Do the laundry/service faucets with no gpm listings have a higher flow rate? Will the faucets with 2.5 or lower flow rates have a higher rate if the aerators are removed? Any suggestions for a good wall mount tub filling faucet?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need bathtub filling faucet with decent gpm

Be advised that your problem may not be the faucet. More likely would be pipe diameter and pressure available upstream. If you don't have diameter and pressure upstream, no faucet will solve your problem.

o

"It seems that the wall mount faucets that I've looked at either have a gpm of not more than 2.5 or else they don't show a gpm at all. "

The feds decided a while ago how much water we shall use.

o

I didn't think tub faucets had that restriction. Just shower, bath sink, and kitchen sink.

o

No faucet (tub/shower/lav/kitchen) is allowed more than 2.5 gpm....it's the law.

o

For sizing tankless water heaters, I use 4 gpm for a tub faucet and 2.5 gpm for a shower.

I know that shower heads are limited to 2.5 gpm - but I didn't think that tub faucets were (you are filling a tub... the amount of water used is a function of the tub size, not the gpm through the tub spout). In fact, there was just a thread by a poster who wanted to use a shower valve rated at 18 gpm.

I haven't purchased tub faucets in a while, OP, you should continue to do research - I don't think the tub GPM is limited.

o

You can find Roman tub faucets that will deliver up to 8 gpm. However a tub/shower faucet will have the restricted flow.

o

The last time I bought a tub/shower valve, the tub was unrestricted whereas the shower was restricted to 2.5gpm. That was 5yrs or so ago.

o

The UPC (Unifom Plumbing Code) section 424.1.1 says;" Faucetts and supply fittings shall conform to the water conservation requirements of section 604.4"

Section 604.4 says fixtures shall be limited to the outputs listed on Table 604.4

Table 604.4 lists Lavatories in public restrooms & private restrooms (incudes residential service), Showers, hand held showers, kitchen sinks, urinals and water closets.

There is no listing for tubs on the chart.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here