Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pearlbegonia

Need bathtub filling faucet with decent gpm

pearlbegonia
12 years ago

It seems that the wall mount faucets that I've looked at either have a gpm of not more than 2.5 or else they don't show a gpm at all. I would like a higher gpm in order to fill the tub before the water gets cold. Do the laundry/service faucets with no gpm listings have a higher flow rate? Will the faucets with 2.5 or lower flow rates have a higher rate if the aerators are removed? Any suggestions for a good wall mount tub filling faucet?

Comments (38)

• asolo
    12 years ago

Be advised that your problem may not be the faucet. More likely would be pipe diameter and pressure available upstream. If you don't have diameter and pressure upstream, no faucet will solve your problem.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"It seems that the wall mount faucets that I've looked at either have a gpm of not more than 2.5 or else they don't show a gpm at all. "

The feds decided a while ago how much water we shall use.

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

I didn't think tub faucets had that restriction. Just shower, bath sink, and kitchen sink.

• Ozone89
    12 years ago

No faucet (tub/shower/lav/kitchen) is allowed more than 2.5 gpm....it's the law.

• jakethewonderdog
    12 years ago

For sizing tankless water heaters, I use 4 gpm for a tub faucet and 2.5 gpm for a shower.

I know that shower heads are limited to 2.5 gpm - but I didn't think that tub faucets were (you are filling a tub... the amount of water used is a function of the tub size, not the gpm through the tub spout). In fact, there was just a thread by a poster who wanted to use a shower valve rated at 18 gpm.

I haven't purchased tub faucets in a while, OP, you should continue to do research - I don't think the tub GPM is limited.

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

You can find Roman tub faucets that will deliver up to 8 gpm. However a tub/shower faucet will have the restricted flow.

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

The last time I bought a tub/shower valve, the tub was unrestricted whereas the shower was restricted to 2.5gpm. That was 5yrs or so ago.

• lazypup
    12 years ago

The UPC (Unifom Plumbing Code) section 424.1.1 says;" Faucetts and supply fittings shall conform to the water conservation requirements of section 604.4"

Section 604.4 says fixtures shall be limited to the outputs listed on Table 604.4

Table 604.4 lists Lavatories in public restrooms & private restrooms (incudes residential service), Showers, hand held showers, kitchen sinks, urinals and water closets.

There is no listing for tubs on the chart.

• happy123
    7 years ago

What is the answer to this?? I'm in the same boat, slow tub fill

• Naomi Thompson
    7 years ago

I'm looking for an answer to this question as well. Where can a 8 GPM faucet be found? I can't seem to find one with a high enough GPM to fill my tub.

• happy123
    7 years ago

I gave up… but it is painfully slow

• kudzu9
    7 years ago

There are quite a few tub faucets with higher flow rates (up to about 8 gpm). However, they typically must be mated to the correct in-wall valve, and sometimes it is recommended that the supply piping be larger than the standard 1/2". I found a number of high volume faucets at build.com.

• Jill Osborne
    6 years ago

OP, what did you end up choosing?

• JH Ag
    6 years ago

Look for a "Two-Valve" Tub Faucet or Wall Mounted Tub Fillers. These styles have separate hot and cold handles and separate spout for mixing the water and deliver the maximum water flow. Most high-quality units should delivery 8-10 gallons per minute.

The other option is to use a 3/4" Thermostatic in-wall valve to mix the water and then plumb to the tub spout. 3/4" Thermostats can deliver from 12-18 gallons per minute depending on the manufacturer.

There is no code restriction on flow rates for tub fillers--only on lavatory faucets and showers.

• PRO
    Plumbing by JRS
    5 years ago

Delta makes one that boasts 18 GPM. Home Depot sells it. Your not going to get 18GPM from it however due to how your home is pipes. 18GPM would erode the pipe away. You can increase the flow to your tub by running a 3/4 line to it instead of a 1/2 line. That’s about all you can do. .

• happy123
    5 years ago

Thanks JRS. Do you have a link to that faucet you are referring to on Home Depot’s website?

• Linda
    4 years ago

I am looking at an American Standard tub filler with a 1.8 gpm. Isn't that extremely low? It is not a cheap filler.

• Stax
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

"I would like a higher gpm in order to fill the tub before the water gets cold." Huh?

Higher gpm draws down the hot water heater faster.

• JH Ag
    4 years ago

" I am looking at an American Standard tub filler with a 1.8 gpm "

1.8 gpm refers to the maximum flow rate for the hand shower. This is often highlighted to indicate compliance with gov't WaterSense standards. Buried in the American Standard specification sheet (https://www.americanstandard-us.com/-/media/sites/asus/files/product-specs/tub-fillers/2018/contemporary-round-free-standing-tub-filler-t064951/specsheet-t064951.pdf?la=en) is a chart indicating max flow rate of about 7 gpm from the tub spout.

• Stax
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

You think you'll get a hot bath by drawing 7 gpm at say 100 average degrees from a 50-70 gallon electric hot water heater? (Set point of maybe 120 Degrees.)

Recovery Rate / First Hour Rate

• Maru, 5b
    4 years ago

This Kingston tub filler shows 13 gpm in the description but 7 gpm in the specs.

• PRO
    ProSource Memphis
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

2.5 GPM is a Kitchen sink faucet. Not a tub filler. You're supposed to have an access panel to the valve below. The valve of any tub is what has to be replaced. Nothing but the trim can be replaced without an access panel.

• mark schexnayder
    3 years ago

The original is a Fontaine Roman Tub w/ Handshower. The spout is rated @ 2.4gpm, the handheld shower @ 2.5gpm. This is a picture from behind the front panel.

• happy123
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Its very sad that after 8 years this thread hasnt been resolved. Show me the damn links of the high flow tub fillers!!!!! Enough of the talk about faucets at 2.5 GPM!! I dont care about those!!! Show me HIGH FLOW TUB FILLERS!!!!!!

• PRO
    StarCraft Custom Builders
    3 years ago

@happy123

I'm pretty sure that demanding an answer is not the way to get one.

I think the OPs question has actually been answered more than once.

So, exactly what is your question? If you have a new question, the best course is to start a new thread.

• happy123
    3 years ago

No this thread is an argument about water conservation laws and what is a faucet vs a tub filler. In this entire thread there has only been one link shared of an actual high flow tub filler. I am a consumer wanting to buy a high flow tub filler. What else needs to be said? Can someone share of a internet hyperlink that I could possibly click on and purchase a high flow tub filler? Thank you

• PRO
    StarCraft Custom Builders
    3 years ago

Tub fillers flow at about 7 gpm, that is, they allow about as much flow as a 1/2" copper pipe permits. The most you will get out of 1/2" pipe at 60 psi is about 8 gpm, so that's the maximum flow available. There is some loss when the water navigates the innards of the tub filler.

If you select a tub filler and the flow rate is not stated, call customer support. Sometimes they know, but it is not a question that is usually asked.

• happy123
    3 years ago

Wall Mount Tub Filler Matte Black Tub faucet High Flow Two Handles Solid Brass, Long Spout Reach, sumerain https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087CQT69R/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_jrWWFb6MZDK43

• happy123
    3 years ago

As above. Click the link!! I just ordered one. Thank my later!!!! Case closed!!!

• kudzu9
    3 years ago

happy123-

You're incorrect to make a connection between water conservation and tub fillers. Flow rate restrictions make sense for showers where you are continually running water down the drain. But filling a tub takes the same amoun of water whether it's fast or slow. It's easy to find high flow rate tub fillers, so it's unclear why you couldn't find one, or why you felt the need to come out of the starting gate demanding and prickly....

• S Todd
    last year

Just installed a Kohler 2973. I think it was called a garden tub valve. I have a well so I have designed my main water service pressure to 70psi.

The Kohler valve and a 10gpm shower head and I am getting est 8gpm out of the shower head.

Finally a nice shower experience! And yes a 15 min shower and hot water tank is cold. So no more hour long showers for my teenager.

• tc9876
    last year
    last modified: last year

This was an educational thread.

• HU-432969463
    last year

I recently found several that have great GPMs Flow rate (gallons per minute) 9.3 found in specifications

• drudgedread
    last year
    last modified: last year

Wow so much info coming in. YOU WANT HIGH FLOW TUB FILLER?? READ...

HERE IT IS..... So much bad info above, even from the pros. Everyone just living with the poor performance of all the new stuff out there.

I am a mechanical engineering technologist - I tested my old and new fillers.

MY 1980s TUB FILLER... ( I refer to the complete faucet set with valve set as the FILLER) fills my old boring tub to the over flow in 4 minutes. My piping is 1/2" copper and my velocity** pressure is about 48 PSI at that point.

I then measured with 5 gallon buckets the flow rate at 16 GPM.. Its been installed for 40 years and pipes all are in great shape- (I have since upgraded piping to PROPEX with a home run to each appliance and so cut up the pipe to have a look).

I bought a new tub filler, one with those stupid braided hoses. IT WAS VERY DISSAPOINTING.

Most tub fillers- especially the free standing are at only 1.8 GPM and 3.8 GPM unless you pay like $3K sand even then you might get 4 or 5.

If it has hoses inside..its VERY LIKELY NOT THE ONE YOU ARE LOOKING FOR. those hose can be 3/8" only and have even tighter restrictions at the connections. It it says its 8 GPM you did well not bad but still less than 1/2 of what your old tub did.

Most of todays TUB FILLERS.... are built to look great but do not even come close to meeting the task at hand. UNLESS you have a very small tub. 8 GPM would be OK in comparison but anything less is a JOKE.

SO ... LOOK FOR units with OLD SCHOOL COPPER SWEAT MANIFOLD design. CHECK SPECIFIED FLOW RATE.

Here is the one that fills like I expect it to its specified for 18 GPM --- add it is COMPLETE with the VALVE SET..

MOEN Adler Chrome 2-Handle Deck Mount Roman Bathtub Faucet (Valve Included)

MFR#: 86998

They stopped making these I suspect because its so much CHEAPER to GO WITH THE FLOW and standardize on the easy to manuf.. braided contraptions. LOOK FOR HARD COPPER MANIFOLD/VALVE SET

** VELOCITY PRESSURE vs STATIC PRESSURE.

The former is pressure measured in the flowing water. Static is what most ppl would think of as pressure. Static pressure will always be the same everywhere in your piping system. However, when the water is flowing, everything will take away pressure including restrictions, length of pipe and even roughness inside the pipes.

• HU-53950440
    3 months ago

Faucets bathtubs can fill at 4.8

• HU-53950440
    3 months ago

Ozone89 Tub faucets can flow at around 4.8

• nuraman00
    2 months ago

I clicked on happy123 's Amazon link above. It's still available.

What do I do if I also need a tub / shower diverter?

I am looking for a 3 handle tub filler with shower diverter, and a strong water pressure shower head.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths