Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
need_help2

Bosch dishwasher not cleaning at all.

need_help2
11 years ago

Hi licensed plumbers, I am at my wit's end.

I posted my Bosch dishwasher issue at the appliance forum and was recommended to re-post here for expert advice. Here is the link with the pictures. Would you help take a look?
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg041454395649.html?6

Here is the problem:
For the last 1.5 years, I've been struggling with my brand-new Bosch SHE55M1UC, bought from Sears along with a 5-year service plan. It doesn't clean well, doesn't drain or rinse well. Leaving dishes with grits or many with blue-ish streaks. I've bought water test kit (water is normal), fiddled with the rinse aid dials, checked water temperature or even ran the tap water until very hot before starting the dishwasher, cleaned the filters, asked Sears technician to check the spray arms, switched detergents, power or tablets, bought dishwasher cleaner to run empty cycles. checked water pressure from my tap in kitchen, and it seems fine. (I live in a condo with common water piping). This weekend I used small amount of Cascade power to wash my dishes, filled in just to the first line of the dispenser. I didn't load up with a lot of dishes either. I used the normal cycle, then one more wash with a cancel so that I could rinse and drain, then a quick cycle. The result was that I had to hand-wash and rinse about 1/2 of the dishes! I then ran another 3 cycles with cancel. To my astonishment, the dishwasher was still full of SOAP! Please see the attached photo after 6 cycles!
What should I do?
This picture shows where to air gap is connected. It has a up side down folk, with the top connected to airgap, one small branch connected to the white drain from the dishwasher, and the bigger branch connected to the black tube the the garbage disposal. It's install by Sears.

Comments (42)

• User
    11 years ago

Did it ever clean properly?

• need_help2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No. It never cleaned properly. I was calling Bosch helpline a couple of times and they made me try this and try that...time past fast and then the warranty expired and I had a 5-year service plan with Sears so I ask Sears technicians to come see it. It was not until later that the blue-ish streaks gets bad when I noticed that the soap are there and never drains well...and then the Sears guy asked me to use tiny bit of soap, not even to the first line in the dispenser. And I later discovered that, even running empty cycles, the soap doesn't go away! When the technician comes, he tells me that the dishwasher is draining normally from the sound he could hear. He made me run the empty cycle, then cancel it so that it drains the bubbles on the top. But even by doing that, the soap is still there! Attached photo is a mid-cycle photo after 5 empty cycles!

• User
    11 years ago

You could have one of several problems:

1. The line running up to the soap dispenser may be blocked, kinked or damaged.

2. The holes in the soap dispenser could be blocked. What type of soap are you using, liquid or powder?

3. You could have a backflow preventer in the dishwasher drain line damaged or missing.

#1 seems like the most likely problem if it never cleaned well.

• need_help2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am not sure what you mean by soap dispenser. Do you mean the drainage? I took a picture here. I am using Cascade power. I also tried Finish tablets.

• User
    11 years ago

I'm sorry, I think I misunderstood what you meant by, "the soap never goes away." I though you meant there was still soap in the dispenser.

Did your previous dishwasher work like it was supposed to?

The blue streaks concern me - does it look like it could be copper? Does your water have either very low or very high pH?

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Looks like the wrong kind of soap is being used.

There should be very little foam from dish-washing detergent.

Foam does not pump well.

• need_help2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The Bosch doesn't seem to rinse! I ran 12 consecutive rinse (starting the wash without any detergent and then cancelling it) yesterday and the tub is still full of soap! See photo. Before this, I only used Cascade to the first line in the dispenser. I also tried Finish tab previously, not no vail. How can this be? The water seems to drain and actually finish the drying cycle. But once I remove all the dishes (1/2 of them with blue streaks) and wash empty cycles without soap - 12 times - the foam remains there!

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Something is really wrong with that amount of foam being generated.

Is your water VERY soft?

DW detergent is NOT supposed to foam.
    Foam does not pump worth a darn.
    It takes a very tight clearance pump to move it around since it is mostly air.

I would almost bet money that the drain line is not installed correctly also and excessive water is running back into the DW.

Did the drain line get extended from the one that came with the DW?

• need_help2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi brickeyee, I had tested my water twice before and it's normal - near the middle, neither hard nor soft. The drain line was not extended from the original. It's hooked up to a PVC branched pipe to the air gap on my sink and then back down to a black pipe to the garbage disposal.
    Some people from the appliance forum seemed to have figured out that at least the rinse aid dispenser is the issue because I have to refill every 4-5 wash cycles and all my white dishes have blue streaks. My soap is Cascade power so it's white. Plus there are lots of suds so it also seems coming from the rinse aid.
    Somebody also suggested to disconnect from the air gap but put in a high loop and have the dishwasher drain line hooked up directly to the garbage disposal pipe. I am not sure why. If you are a plumber, can you help explain how this will help?

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Excessive rinse aid would cause foam to form.

Fix that problem and the foaming should go away.

Dishwasher pumps do not have a tight enough clearance to move foam very wall since it is mostly air.

• Louise73
    10 years ago

I am having the same problem of my Bosch dishwasher having a lot of suds at the bottom after it has finished cleaning. What did you finally do to get rid of the problem? I've ran the dishwasher without dishes and soap and used a lot of vegetable oil, vinegar and baking soda for numerous cycles. I've had 2 technicians come out and called Bosch and still have the problem. So frustrated!!!!

• need_help2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It turned out that the suds come from the raise aid. My rinse aid box was leaking raise aid at the edge of the box. Got it replaced and there is no more suds. My dishwasher is working ok now but not great. I'm still fiddling with the rinse aid dial. It doesn't clean my glasses very well, leaving streaks are foggy film. and sometimes leaves food residue on my dinner plates, even though I always rinse my dinner plates first. For a brand-new dishwasher, Bosch quality is pretty bad.
    Yes I had talked to bosh technicians online as well as Sears repairman who came to my house twice. They were useless. It was this forum which helped me diagnose the problem.

• Louise73
    10 years ago

Thank you for the information. I'm glad you got the sudsing issue fixed but I'm sorry you're dishes are not getting clean. The Sears extended warranty won't address that? I agree with you, I am also very disappointed in Bosch right now and cannot recommend a Bosch dishwasher due to this. Repair people should also know how to take care of this issue and don't. My electric bill is going to be so high from running this DW for many empty cycles just to get rid of the suds. Thanks for your help and good luck to you.

• Louise73
    10 years ago

*your* dishes

• jackieblue
    10 years ago

This stands out to me:

'This weekend I used small amount of Cascade power to wash my dishes, filled in just to the first line of the dispenser.'

I am unaware of any product called Cascade Power. Do you mean Dawn Power, the foaming dish washing liquid? Or did you just misspell 'powder'?

• need_help2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My mid-spell. It should have been "cascade powder".

• jtjtjt98
    8 years ago

I am going to tear my hair out. Why is it such a big secret that the Bosch dishwashers ( pleural) have so many problems that no one knows about until they own one, My Bosch worked well for about a year. First I had a problem with a garbage smell whenever I open the dishwasher. I called customer service and they told me i had to go out to buy some cleaning fluid to put in the dishwasher in order to get rid of the smell. I was so angry and told them that i was not going to spend another dime on something to clean a dishwasher that is supposed to clean dishes. How #$)**%$ ridiculous to even suggest that. After threats to go on Facebook and expose them, the customer service rep agree to have a manager call me. FOUR wks later, i got a callback. It turned out that there is a filter at the bottom of the dishwasher that has to be cleaned periodically - who knew. I took out the filter and after cleaning it for a half hour, the smell was gone and has not been a problem. NOW however, I have a new problem which i am realizing is very common with Bosch dishwashers - mine does NOT CLEAN ANYTHING. Every load is a waste of water and electricity. Inevitably, I have to clean everything on the top rack after the load is done regardless of what cycle i put it on. That is the last thing I want to do after coming home from a 12 hour workday. I will go out of my way to let people know what has happened and am dreading a phone call to customer service tomorrow. Is anyone interested in some kind of letter to the CEO which would be signed by however many unhappy Bosch users there are?

• elpaso1
    8 years ago

I've had 2 Bosch dw in different homes and never had a problem. They cleaned great.

• kainat ahmad
    8 years ago

Hi I have a problem with my Bosch dw also

the soap compartment stays closed and does not soap my dishes i don't know what's going on can someone tell me

• Bluebell66
    8 years ago

We recently move into a house with a relatively new Bosch dishwasher. The dishes frequently don't get clean and they don't always dry completely. So frustrating!

• mommyanth
    7 years ago

We have the same problem with a brand new Bosch. Most of the time we have gritty dishes, doesn't dry properly and also have dirt on the inside of the door after cleaning . As well as having to clean the filter constantly, even though we rinse food off before packing. So infuriating.

• homepro01
    7 years ago

mommyanth,

You may want to post on the Appliance forum if you are looking for solutions. Many Bosch owners on the forum.

• Vith
    7 years ago

Not a secret, I was looking for a new dishwasher (one that was quieter and different color) and came across various Bosch. Sorted by the least rated reviews and a lot of them mentioned not cleaning well. Obviously you will not please everyone but if majority of bad reviews are the same thing it is a trend. Always good to look at that info. Sample size of reviews is something to look at also, if a lot of people have bought it and reviewed good things then you are more likely to like it. I ended up doing the Whirlpool Gold, price ok, fairly quiet, cleans ok.

• ramona1976
    7 years ago

We have one of the Bosch models with high ratings, which we bought from a major appliance store (not big box). It cleans very well, is so quiet it has a light to let you know it is running, and has been problem free. We previously had one of their lower end units, which was a Sears exclusive model, that was basically junk. As Vith says, check the reviews before you buy.

• Sandi Arthur
    7 years ago

Our newer Bosch is a piece of junk too. Glasses always come out with little debris stuck to them. We tried everything and finally gave up! We are washing dishes by hand now. Seriously - what kind of junk are they making??

• michelecuddy
    7 years ago

Our Bosch is the same food bits all over especially top rack. I use the recommended detergent and rinse aid. I also rinse dishes before washing. I will never buy another Bosch happy for those of you that haven't had issues. I can't wait to purchase a different brand.

• acm
    7 years ago

I initially had an unpleasant smell after runs, but adding the "sanitize" cycle to every wash has gotten rid of that completely. (Customer Service explained that regulations have changed how dishwashers run, which is good for the environment, but requires a little extra intervention by the owner.) I'll probably run their dishwasher cleaner once or twice per year, but otherwise everything is great -- we no longer pre-rinse dishes at all, because it does such a good job on every level, even with the peanut-butter-coated knives. Got the 42 dB model, high ratings, few complaints.

• Tawny P
    6 years ago

I moved into a home that had just updated all the appliances. So the Bosch DW is brand new and it’s not working. What seems to be the problem is the soap dispenser is opening too early in the cycle so none of it gets used and runs down the door. I started a cycle the other day and opened the door only about 10-15mins in a 2 and a half hour cycle and the soap dispenser was already open and running down the door. I shut it and closed the door and I heard it pop back open about 5 seconds later. Any suggestions on what to do? Can’t seem to find any reviews on this specific issue.

• dadoes
    6 years ago

Are your dishes not coming out clean? There may not be a problem. The main wash period and final rinse on dishwashers nowadays tend to be quite long so there's plenty time left for those processes at 10 to 15 mins into the complete cycle.

• Tawny P
    6 years ago

No they are not clean. If your saying it’s normal to use the soap within 10-15mins of running that’s fine.. but every time I open up the washer (when the cycle has completed) all of the detergent has only dripped down the door. None of it getting used.

• Tawny P
    6 years ago

I mentioned that scenario since it seems the detergent is opening before it’s time so all of it is draining out along the door and nothing is left by the time it’s actually needed. Just a thought. Idk what other explanation could be used for this situation. I have not experienced this before.

• dadoes
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

"Tawny P: ... but every time I open up the washer (when the cycle has completed) all of the detergent has only dripped down the door. None of it getting used."

Then you're having some other problem not directly related to the detergent dispenser. No matter when the dispenser opens, all the detergent should be gone at end of the cycle, flushed out of the dispenser and off the door by the spraying water. Seems like the machine isn't filling enough to garner full spray pressure, or has a clogged pump, or clogged spray arm, or some issue of that ilk.

• Tawny P
    6 years ago

Okay thank you! I will check those out.

• Billie Jo Meggs Tinker
    6 years ago

I have had mine for about 1 years. It’s quit and pretty but my dishes have never been clean. It’s so frustrating. I realized today that I have slowly started hand washing my dishes because I know they won’t come clean. This was an expensive dishwasher. I have had cheap dishwashers without all of the fancy stuff but they cleaned the dishes. Wish I had one of those now. It’s so much extra work.

• coririce
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

We struggled with our Bosch dishwasher - nothing seemed to work, we had dirty, powdery dishes and a gunked up detergent dispenser. It was maddening, and the dishwasher wasn't cheap! Then I bought some Finish orange gel pacs because they were on sale - that one change seemed to solve the problem. I strongly suggest giving those a try - if it works it's a cheap fix! It's been years now since we switched and we haven't had any problems since -- hopefully this will help some of you!

• scarlet Coers
    3 years ago

WOW, we have had the same problems with our BOSCH...repaair said there is nothing wrong but my glasses look terrible & there is always dishes that aren't clean. Have tried everything. I have the 800 & it shouldn't do that. Before this one I had a cheaper Bosch & it was very good but this one has been bad from day 1 & I have battled it for 5 years. Had out water tested & were told the water is good.

• Sandi Arthur
    3 years ago

It turned out ours was the heat pump. One guy said it was bad, next guy returned the part and said it wasn't needed. Finally after 4 visits, they installed the heat pump and it cleaned again!!

• dadoes
    3 years ago

Sandi Arthur,

Heat pump ... do you mean heating element/pump assembly? The water heating element may be part the recirculation water pump on a Bosch.

• jtjtjt98
    3 years ago

got rid of mine finally. Now I don't have to wash and scrub my dishes before they go in the dishwasher. I wd never invest in fixing it.

• Stax
    2 years ago

No heat pump associated with a Dishwasher.

• Sandi Arthur
    2 years ago

Maybe I have the wrong word with "pump"...it's been a few years, but it was something that heated the water so it would clean well. That dishwasher bit the dust in 2020 after only 8 years and lots of repairs. Now we have one that's only 6 months old and already has a repair problem... the soap dispenser doesn't open until the very end of the cycle. ugh.