Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thoughts on Kohler for fixed shower plus handshower?

Posted by kmcg (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 3, 12 at 17:58

I want to do an uncluttered installation of a fixed showerhead plus a handshower on a bar. I guess my choices are to have the handshower diverter in the showerhead arm, which seems like it could be awkward, or to have the hose for the handheld come out of a supply elbow in the wall. Assuming I do the latter, I'm puzzled by how many controls I need. I read over tons of threads, including a great one by mongoct, but still have questions (sorry!).

First, brand: I'm finding good prices on Kohler (Home Depot has a lot of Kohler on sale right now), and have always had positive impressions of the company. Does anyone here have positive or negative things to say about their valves and their mid-level shower components? Does anyone know whether the rumor is true that HD gets an inferior level of product from Kohler?

Now, the technical: Kohler's website says I can use a Rite-Temp Valve with Diverter (K11748-K-NA) to install either a shower plus tub or a shower plus handshower. But I'm having a hard time figuring out what trim goes with this if I don't do the tub. The trim kits I find have a push-button diverter control under the main pressure-balance valve control. (see link of an example below) Will that really work to control the handshower on/off by the push-button method? If not, what do I use? Would I then need a transfer valve control plus the pressure balance valve control?

Do you have suggestions for alternative products? Again, the goal is to use only one control/handle mechanism so I don't clutter up the wall with more stuff. For example, if I got a Hansgrohe thermobalance II valve, can I get by with just one control? I'd be happy with using either the shower or the handheld separately - don't need to use them at the same time - in case this makes any difference.

Thanks for your indulgence!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler shower trim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thoughts on Kohler for fixed shower plus handshower?

I'm sure that you can find a suitable Kohler product, as they're one of the biggest companies.

I have the Sustainable Solutions International F2040 which looks great and works amazing for me. I got it because it reduces water consumption. Most of their products work fine with only one valve but I'm afraid that my technical knowledge should be taken with a grain of salt as I don't use a handheld.

Depending on how much you're willing to spend, Graff also makes some really sexy luxury fixtures that would definitely up the "wow" factor of your bathroom.

Hope this helps at least a little! Hopefully someone else can better answer your technical questions..

o

oh and fyi, sustainable solutions sometimes gives out free showerheads on their fb page. my friend Ryan won one, so it's worth a shot if you're in the market

o

Thanks, Infinity78. I will check those brands out!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here