Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmcg_gw

Thoughts on Kohler for fixed shower plus handshower?

kmcg
12 years ago

I want to do an uncluttered installation of a fixed showerhead plus a handshower on a bar. I guess my choices are to have the handshower diverter in the showerhead arm, which seems like it could be awkward, or to have the hose for the handheld come out of a supply elbow in the wall. Assuming I do the latter, I'm puzzled by how many controls I need. I read over tons of threads, including a great one by mongoct, but still have questions (sorry!).

First, brand: I'm finding good prices on Kohler (Home Depot has a lot of Kohler on sale right now), and have always had positive impressions of the company. Does anyone here have positive or negative things to say about their valves and their mid-level shower components? Does anyone know whether the rumor is true that HD gets an inferior level of product from Kohler?

Now, the technical: Kohler's website says I can use a Rite-Temp Valve with Diverter (K11748-K-NA) to install either a shower plus tub or a shower plus handshower. But I'm having a hard time figuring out what trim goes with this if I don't do the tub. The trim kits I find have a push-button diverter control under the main pressure-balance valve control. (see link of an example below) Will that really work to control the handshower on/off by the push-button method? If not, what do I use? Would I then need a transfer valve control plus the pressure balance valve control?

Do you have suggestions for alternative products? Again, the goal is to use only one control/handle mechanism so I don't clutter up the wall with more stuff. For example, if I got a Hansgrohe thermobalance II valve, can I get by with just one control? I'd be happy with using either the shower or the handheld separately - don't need to use them at the same time - in case this makes any difference.

Thanks for your indulgence!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler shower trim

Comments (3)