Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whole house Water softener size

Posted by Beepsis (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 15:12

After following many posts on this site regarding which type, size, etc of water softener to purchase, I thought I had finally made the decision for the Fleck 5600 sxt 25 grain capacity....
...then I saw a post that made it seem like the resin tank on the above system (.75) might be too small.
Here's the data I've based my needs on...

Well water tested at :
Lead neg
Bacteria neg
Nitrate/Nitrite less than 0.5
pH 7.5-8.5
Hardness 250ppm
No testig has been done on Iron, but surrounding wells test negligible

We are two ppl living in a two bath home. We have recently moved off a sailboat of 12 years and estimate our combined daily usage of maybe 100gals
I've figured that our needs would be met with the system as noted above.
We plan on using potassium vs sodium for health and environment reasons.
My question is...
Why would I need a larger Resin Tank than the one offered with this system?
(justalurker, I hope you're still out there!)
Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whole house Water softener size

A 0.75 cubic foot system will work just fine for you, even if your water use ends up being higher than the 100 gpd (gallons per day) you have estimated.

At 100 gpd water use and 15 gpg (grains per gallon) hardness, regenerated with 6 lb salt per cubic ft of resin, a 0.75 cubic ft softener will regen every 9 -10 days. If your water use ends up closer to 120 (60 gpd/person, which is typical), the softener will regen every 7 - 8 days.

The only reason you might wish to consider a larger softener is If you have any high-water-use fixtures, such as a multi-head shower or a jetted tub. The flow rate through those items would exceed the service flow rate for a 0.75 cubic ft softener, resulting in hard water.

Since you have a well, you really should have a thorough water test completed. If you contact a local water treatment plant or look on your state's website, you can find certified labs. Two wells, even in close proximity, can have water with very different analysis. Iron and manganese, in particular, will make a huge difference in softener size and regen salt dosage.

This post was edited by aliceinwonderland_id on Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 12:38

o

Thank you for that. I did the iron test from the attached link, and it was negligible, but I'll get the minerals checked out better, and if they're low, probably go with the 24'000 size. Thanks again.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=well water iron test&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CEYQFjAB&url=http%3A//www.ehow.com/how_5403295_test-iron-water.html&ei=UNNiUcPuFMGi0AGulYGoCg&usg=AFQjCNGEM2A7fFOsrcJOoykgZRkSBkQDJQ&bvm=bv.44770516,d.dmQ

o

The "test" site you linked is full of inaccurate information. However, it is correct that if your water develops color after sitting for a few hours dissolved iron is most likely present. You say it was negligible - can you define that a bit more? Did the color of your water change at all? If it did, you need an actual analytical iron test before proceeding.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here