Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fivefootzero

Do we really need all these shut-off valves?

fivefootzero
16 years ago

We finally got the vanity out of our small master bathroom and found these shut off valves behind it. They are on the right side wall with the red handles. One is for the toilet (which by the way has it's own already) and one is for the shower which is on the extreme right in the photo.

My worry is that my vanity will expose these valves. I bought a washstand-style vanity similar to this one.

Thanks for any advice. I'm posting on the plumbing board just in case they have any suggestions as well.

Comments (8)

• ctbosox
    16 years ago

I would figure its all how far you want to run when needing to shut off the water. And, I'd like to add, that is one fine looking washstand vanity.

• Ron Natalie
    16 years ago

Are you sure that they aren't both for the shower (hot and cold). I can't imagine putting two for the toilet like that.

I like the Grohe thermostatic valve which has (as an option) integral shutoff stops, so I didn't put in separate shutoffs.

• marknmt
    16 years ago

It IS a nice vanity. I can see why you don't want the valves showing.

But it is nice to have good valves in a readily accessible place. I just spent half a day with water dripping down my arm because I had to fight with a leaker overhead.

Do consider a simple screen on the bottom shelf of the vanity; it could be an attractive fabric stretched across a frame, or even wallpaper on a removeable panel to complement or imitate the room's decor.

Just thoughts-

M

• fivefootzero
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much for your replies. I love love love my vanity...and I really hate to ruin the look I'm going for. These valves ARE hot/cold for the shower after further testing last night.

We decided that we'd just take off the levers so they aren't as noticable and put a nice basket in front of the valves.

• dan_martyn
    16 years ago

Typically a closet is strategically located on the other side of the wall of the shower and an access panel is located there for the valves which are located INSIDE the wall. Having an access panel in a closet is the preferred way.

Dan Martyn

• lazypup
    16 years ago

Both the lavatory location and the watercloset have the code required angle stop valves.

The two valve with the L handles appear to be ball valves, which may be installed as either zone valves for the whole bathroom or fixture shutoff valves for the shower. In either case there is no code requirement to have them.

• westcoast
    16 years ago

You don't need them, call a plumber to remove them and repair the pipe. That vanity will look great there.

• wa8b
    16 years ago

Chances are they're service stops for the shower. If you live in a condo or a multiple story building, service stops may be required by your local plumbing code. Your plumber should know what's required.

That being said, service stops don't have to be conspicuous or have large red handles. Smaller less obtrusive valve handles could be used, or even valves operated by a removable key-like devise. With the latter, all that would be visible would be small escutcheons with a small opening for the key (You may have seen these in hotels. They're usually mounted in the shower or bath, directly below or adjacent to the shower or tub control valves)

Unfortunately, changing the red-handled ball valves now in place will require opening the wall, which you may or may not have planned on.